Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: HELIAR: here they are..

Re: HELIAR: here they are..

I saw these on your Flickr, Stephane. It's an amazing series of portraits, they've stuck in my head ever since I saw them. I thought they were Velostigmat though (from your tags I guess...)

Not just one lens: only one photo with velostigmat (Kenton). only one with heliar (that one), the others with some petzval or other things. On the real print of this portrait, the zipper goes in and out of focus so nicely...

There are few new threads dealing with the universal Heliar and it is difficult to find any picture taken with this lens. I just want to see the effects of diffusion. Is the price tag justified? Any one has any photo to share?

As I see it, universal heliar are popular for the barrel guys who rave about silkiness or whatever legendary attributes to the produced images. However, these images are kept secret (maybe not to destroy the universal heliar myth) and no one wants to post one image, even if the heliar qualities are (too) much talked about. Well, guys, I just acquired one heavy-for-the-size 300mm universal heliar (it was thrown in a sinar kit for free with other 4 lenses, for very decent price). I promiss that you good people will see what an image taken with a universal heliar looks like with max-fuzz. And if this will destroy the myth, so be it.
    By the way, I got a very nice Lynkeioskope Goerz 480mm (serie C) extra rapid (f/6.3) from 1897 which is supposed to be like a Euryscope for very nice price. I will mount it this evening! It has a beautiful yellowish barrel, similar to the shiny look of a cooke lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane View Post
    ......By the way, I got a very nice Lynkeioskope Goerz 480mm (serie C) extra rapid (f/6.3) from 1897 which is supposed to be like a Euryscope for very nice price. I will mount it this evening! It has a beautiful yellowish barrel, similar to the shiny look of a cooke lens.
    Yes !
    Would be interesting to see some work done with this "mysterious" (Lynkeioskope Goerz 480mm (serie C) extra rapid (f/6.3) from 1897 ) lens...
    Must be heavy glass !
    Thanks

"By the way, I got a very nice Lynkeioskope Goerz 480mm (serie C) extra rapid (f/6.3) from 1897 which is supposed to be like a Euryscope for very nice price. I will mount it this evening! It has a beautiful yellowish barrel, similar to the shiny look of a cooke lens."

Stephane I have it's twin, it's sharper than the Euryscopes, ruthlessly sharp, nice contrast and well color corrected.

the Universal Heliar 300 is perfect on 5x7 and fun to play with, mine is a late model and coated. You should have all your questions answered with it, I don't think you'll sell it EVER.

Hope you like them.

Easter witches, Technika-Heliar 21cm @4.5

Great stuff!
    Tonal rendering is remarkable!
    I'm wondering what is the look wide open vs stopping down. I would like to see a comparison, shot at different apertures.
    Happy shooting!
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Easy, it gets even sharper =) Though mine is very sharp at 4.5 already, and it seems it only gets marginally better stopping down. I have some undeveloped flower shots shot between 4.5-7.1 apertures that I can post when I get to it, I'm interested in this also, as I've owned the lens only for some months now.

Anders

Universal Heliar 300mm f/6.3, maxfuz, and max bellow stretch to fill the 8x10 gg (this heavy lens was in her face and had to wipe off the nose marks from the front cell).
    right eye is sharp, left eye is nicely soft and detailed.