Thread: ICA lens question

ICA lens question

Lens is on an ICA Reicka 305/? It is 10x 15cm. folding plate camera that is similar to an ICA Ideal: swing back, pop-on pop-off double cut film holder-ground glass viewing screen hood, front shift and rise and fall and rapid shutter/lens interchangeability, made before 1926 merger that resulted in Zeiss Ikon. The number after slash on leather strap is not legible.

Lens front bezel: Ica, Akt.- Ges.. Extra - Rapid - Aplanat . Novar 1: 6,8 F = 16.5 cm No. 158435.

Lens rear bezel:R 435

Aplanat or Novar?

Front fits in back of shutter; back fits in front of shutter. Image projected on ground glass is good with both front & back, longer focal length with only one and placed in back.

I opened it: it is symetrical but the lens elements are separated, not cemented together as I thought Aplanats and Rapid Rectilinears were. Were they cemented or separate?

I have four separate lenses, two for front, similar two for rear: Novars have three elements; Aplanats four but are not two in rear a cemented pair and similar two in front a cemented pair?

Shutter works, almost: it is compound type w/o saying so but does say "Ica" & "Akt.- Ges. Dresden; dial goes from 1 second to 1/100, B & T with an odd "C" between 1 second and B; no function at the "C."

There is some fungus spidering on one convex lens but it has to be looked for; sunlight and cleaning should halt it.

both front and back units opened like front of a Tessar.

What is it?

Since there are 599,894 members in this Forum, I am optimistic that at least 100 of you know.

Bernie

Re: ICA lens question

You are describing a dialyt. Perhaps the best known was the Syntor/celor from Goerz.
    The Novar name is from Hüttig, through ICA and on to Zeiss Ikon and it was used for many different german folder cameras. I believe it finished up as a triplet. The aplanat description is odd but they, perhaps, had patent problems with the "real" name. All you need now is 10x15 film.

Steven,

Thank You.

I am thinking of somehow attaching it to a 9 x 12cm. Ideal if I can match the shutter bayonet fitting to an Ideal's bayonet prongs; if not, then to any old 9 x 12cm. camera if I locate a retaining ring: many shutters that have the bayonet fitting interchangeability feature have no need for a flange; this is such a case.

It has small screwed on bayonet tabs; some larger shutters have separate rings with bayonet tabs and the rings are fastened to the shutter with flanges;

The flanges are same idea as flanges for a Bergheil: I look for these rings wherever I go as I look for lens boards for the 13 x 18cm. ICA Universal Palmos aka Universal Juwel.

Thirty plus years: never seen them.

Again, Thank You,

Bernie

It is a pity that more German folder makers didn't latch on to the bayonet idea and standardise the system - there was a recent discussion here about the Bergheil system and replacement/remanufacture. It shouldn't be too difficult to remake - just a piece of cut metal and a bit of bending?