Thread: nvidia drivers and CS4 Open GL issues

nvidia drivers and CS4 Open GL issues

I'm getting constant display redrawing while zoom and panning with the latest nvidia drivers (196.21) in vista 64, as I was with the previous version (186.something) I had installed. Anyone having better luck with CS4's Open GL and nvidia cards?

The display is fine with GL turned off, so I'm assuming it's a driver problem, but maybe I'm missing another setting somewhere. Any ideas appreciated.

Re: nvidia drivers and CS4 Open GL issues

OK I think I see what's happening. I was so distracted by the slight redrawing of the image resolution with Open GL that I didn't notice how much smoother the panning actually was! I guess it's a relatively minor compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    OK I think I see what's happening. I was so distracted by the slight redrawing of the image resolution with Open GL that I didn't notice how much smoother the panning actually was! I guess it's a relatively minor compromise.
    FWIW, I had to roll back the nVidia drivers to the next to latest version while running under Win. XP 32 SP3 to make Open GL work properly.

I do wish Adobe would allow the users to customize the brush colors. I can't believe that feature isn't available.

In short Adobe did a P.P. job with CS4 at the expense of it's paying customers by not issuing bug fixes.

Don Bryant

Can anyone explain Open GL to me? I'm not sure I am seeing any difference with it enabled. CS4 64, Vista Ultimate 64.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I have a NVIDEA Quadro NVS 285 with CS4 on Vista 32 bit. I have not had any issues with screen redrawing. The only time I have had issues is when I have multiple (more than 4) large images open at once and I switch from tab to tab. This often results in a temporary display of an image in an unrelated tab. That is somewhat annoying but not a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Can anyone explain Open GL to me? I'm not sure I am seeing any difference with it enabled. CS4 64, Vista Ultimate 64.
    The real definition of Open GL is not directly important for understanding what it means to you in PS. Open GL is an open source standard for with function calls that programmers can use when programming for rendering complex graphics.

What it means for PS users is that PS can use your graphics card's capabilities for displaying graphics instead of the main processor. This generally is only meaningful for when an image is changing (so it is particularly useful for video and games). What that means for PS is is when you are changing the display by zooming, rotating, or panning, you should see smoother transitions. This is nice, but I don't think it is revolutionary by any means.

I have the same redraw issue with an ATI card and a Mac Pro.

Its actually really annoying since I used to be able to switch layers
    visibility on and off to see the difference they make but now it just
    switches to the checkered background first before redrawing.

I also just noticed that sharpening effects don't show up at any less than 25% zoom.

I'll just leave GL off, much prefer the old and clunky pan and zoom to the constant uprezzing. Maybe my video card just doesn't have enough memory.

But hey, love the new version of Bridge. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Kirk- be sure to restart before evaluating any differences with GL. Some of the settings aren't be activated until a restart.

(..fwiw, checking the 'force bilinear interpolation' box fixed the filter effects not showing up at less than 25% zoom. Turning off the vertical sync and 3d buttons seems to help with the rez redrawings somewhat- at least they are much faster now.)
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 18-Apr-2010 at 08:37.