Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: Your Oldest Lens

Re: Your Oldest Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    For me, the most significant link to Vallantin is what he engraved on his lenses - this is very similar to that found on Colas lenses.

So I think the likely scenario is :

Colas discovered a UK market for sliding box cameras around 1856. He had the cameras made and had an agreement with the newly independent maker Vallantin (ex-lerebours) to supply lenses to be engraved in London. The "light" engraving is very typical of UK brass engravers. It is in French and says Paris - France was still regarded as the home of Photography.
    This is such helpful information. I hadn't considered disassembling the lens before so I did and I found that you hit the nail on the head, Steven. The front element is marked Vallantin. Here's a photo.

I also appreciate anachromatic's clarification the Élève is better translated as disciple.

Scott

A bit carelessly written - but recognisible as Vallantin when you know what you are looking for!

Vallantin as a known maker - with his link as a Lerebours employee right back to the beginning in 1841 - is a bit more exciting than Colas!

I think I just found your photographica website and previous research, Scott! Now you can write an update about Vallantin. I think you can be pretty certain that Colas made the box camera at his shop/workshop at 105, Cheapside, London between 1854 and 1861 when he moved over into stationary!
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 10-Aug-2017 at 11:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Brassai View Post
    My Nr. 2942 Voigtlander (1847?) does not have the holes. Dang though. 1842?
    I was hoping my ~1845-46 Ross might be the second oldest lens here.
    Looks like it's only third or fourth oldest. I have had it out shooting. It's a sweet lens to use!
    I just noticed this Thread...
    --
    My 'Oldest Lens' therefore is:

An early, Petzval Lens by French 'Optician'...
    ALEXIS MILLET Paris -- No. 508 . .(1847).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    A bit carelessly written - but recognisible as Vallantin when you know what you are looking for!

Vallantin as a known maker - with his link as a Lerebours employee right back to the beginning in 1841 - is a bit more exciting than Colas!

I think I just found your photographica website and previous research, Scott! Now you can write an update about Vallantin. I think you can be pretty certain that Colas made the box camera at his shop/workshop at 105, Cheapside, London between 1854 and 1861 when he moved over into stationary!
    Yes, you found my site. I'll work up an update now that you've helped fill in gaps. Truly appreciated. Had I even noticed that writing on the edge of the lens in the past I doubt I would have made out the name or connection. So many mysteries...

Scott

moltogordo

My oldest lens is a Kodak Commercial Ektar of 8 1/2" mounted in an Ilex #3 shutter. I just bought a Rittreck 5x7 field camera, and am going to permanently mate the two. I think it'll be a marriage made in Heaven.

I believe my oldest is a B&L 11X14 1C - perhaps from the 1920's...? Every example of the 1C's I have seen have "1903" stamped on their barrel, but I am guessing that is unrelated to when the lens was manufactured.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

My oldest lens (now sold) regularly used lens was a small, inconspicuous Goerz coated 7" Dagor in a Rapax shutter that took excellent photos. Probably shouldn't have sold it.

(Shrek)

Currently my oldest is a Darlot pillbox 14" f22 landscape lens from the 1860s. Wonderful lens, one of my favorites on 8x10 especially if I uncork it (remove the front reducer) and shoot it at f9. Next oldest could be a Ross Ordinary Angle Actinic Doublet from the 1870s. I sold my Ross C-de-V petzval that was a little older.

I'm late to the party. There are older lenses in my collection but none as pristine as this Gardner & Harrison. Its basically mint. Great user.

A look at the NYC Directory for 1852/53 (page 233) clarifies which Gardner and which Harrison are partners: Samuel H. Gardner and Ira N. Harrison. Yes, the information in the Dec 1852 Humphrey's Journal was correct.
    Russ
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lens overview MR.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	189055

Wow, nice lens Russ! I vaguely remember there was another American radial drive maker, now I know!