Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to handle "Free on Loan" threads, etc.

How to handle "Free on Loan" threads, etc.

This is a supporting thread for a listing in the sterile For Sale thread!

Basically a resurrection of a thread from 2011.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=scoville+lens

Getting a loan system up and working is a problem - I would like to avoid over-loading the PM system.

I'll use the Weekend to sort through my lenses and post a list in the For Sale section. I suppose that anyone else who is interested getting some of their lenses used could start a parallel thread as only the OP can make postings in this first thread.

Listing lenses here would be in conflict with the month probationary period!

And here is a link to the new "Loan" which may or may not work!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...n-brass-lenses
    Last edited by Steven Tribe; 22-Jul-2017 at 06:01. Reason: try to add current FS link!

Re: Comments on "Free on Loan - brass lenses" thread in For Sale/For Trade section

Steven, I l lost lots of interesting to see the For sale/ For trade section since the new rules there began.

通过我的 VIE-AL10 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Re: Comments on "Free on Loan - brass lenses" thread in For Sale/For Trade section

Steven - duly noted. We'll discuss this and figure out what our policy is so that people won't have to guess about it.

I am not proceding with this until I hear that it is OK to have a linked thread with the For Sale section, when it is a question of free loan.

I realise that it would, perhaps, place an extra monitoring burdon on the mods!

Looking at the last time I (we) did this, there was zero interest in things like aplanat and landscape meniscus lenses - but more in the soft lens area.

Haven't forgotten, Steven - it's under active discussion, except that each round is taking a little while because of other things on our plates. Stay tuned.

I agree with Pierre. In fact, I have quit using this forum to sell LF equipment. In the past I often offered the equipment on this forum for less than I could expect on ebay, but the restrictive rules that now apply to buying and selling turn me off. I just sold a lot of equipment on ebay that I did not even consider offering here because of the asinine (my opinion) restrictions of the forum.

Give you one current example. There is a guy with a current WTB of a tri-color camera. In the past I could have replied with some useful information, now that is not possible.

On the whole I am dismayed by the adoption of restrictive rules that began some five or six years ago, to both the FS/WTB section and other parts of the forum.

Oren, that was before your time so please note that I don't blame you for the mess.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Haven't forgotten, Steven - it's under active discussion, except that each round is taking a little while because of other things on our plates. Stay tuned.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

It looks like this is going to function as a Feedback thread, so I'm going to move it to that subforum for now. Others who have any thoughts on this are welcome to add them

I do bear some responsibility for the current shape of the rules as I participated in the decision-making that resulted in the current set. But critical remarks that are substantive, focused on the policy and not framed as an attack on the people involved are OK; we won't take them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    . . .

Give you one current example. There is a guy with a current WTB of a tri-color camera. In the past I could have replied with some useful information, now that is not possible.

. . .

Sandy
    Of course you can reply - just that it is now via PM or e-mail, so the reply doesn't act to bump the thread in those searches that are activity sensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    Of course you can reply - just that it is now via PM or e-mail, so the reply doesn't act to bump the thread in those searches that are activity sensitive.
    Nor to give insight to others reading the thread. A frustrating problem for us users.

I get that a popular item might float to the top of the list more often than someone selling some old Bakelite trays might like, but the value to the general knowledge base that has been legislated away is missed. Even if the classified threads are not part of the archive, the reading and digesting of pertinent facts and valuable opinions from those we have come to trust here will work their way into the archive. I am of the opinion that the classifieds should serve more than the single purpose of a sale, that of discussion of a particular item.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    I meant replying in the thread for others to see. One of the redeeming features of the FS/WTB threads in the past was that they became an extension in many cases of the knowledge base of the forum. Yes, some people abused the Bump, and yes some replied with inappropriate comments, but on the whole the old system seems a lot better to me than what is currently in place.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 28-Jul-2017 at 21:19.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon