Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Growth.....or not?

Re: Forum Growth.....or not?

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I wish we could measure the number of people who discuss the number of people who are active.
    78% of the active
    Søren Nielsen

Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Quote Originally Posted by soeren View Post
    78% of the active
    Or, one might expect that 20% of the active users make 80% of the posts about how many active users there are. (the "80:20" Rule, e.g. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people)

About 33% of the posts in this thread, started in 2010, have occurred since 26 April. 2016, suggesting an increase in the number of people interested in talking about the number of people.

Total Logins, April 2016 27,159
    Average logins/day 905.3
    Total Posts, April 2016 6,183
    Average posts/day 206.1
    Posts/Logins 22.8%

Total Logins, April 2011 39,834
    Average logins/day 1327.8
    Total Posts, April 2011 12,603
    Average posts/day 420.1
    Posts/Logins 31.6%

Total Logins, April 2007 21,993
    Average logins/day 733.1
    Total Posts, April 2007 7,444
    Average posts/day 248.1
    Posts/Logins 33.8%

2007 is the earliest year for which April stats are available within this software.

But, these statistics couldn't be "sworn in" either. They tell the truth, and nothing but the truth, but not the whole truth.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

What constitutes a "login"? I work off several computers and sometimes I find that one may be logged out of the forum but another has been left logged on. Do I get double and triple credit for being logged on with two desktop computers and my iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What constitutes a "login"? I work off several computers and sometimes I find that one may be logged out of the forum but another has been left logged on. Do I get double and triple credit for being logged on with two desktop computers and my iPhone?
    The statistics functions available to admins actually uses the term "user activity," which I take to mean logins. So, you probably get "extra credit" for logging in from multiple devices, Brian. Logging in and off several times during the day is probably counted as separate "activities" by the stats, as well.

The software is configured to log off users after a certain period of inactivity, an hour or so, IIRC. But that seems inconsistent, as some stay logged in for long periods. I haven't tried to research the reason for the inconsistencies.

Has Number LFF Members here dwindled?

I still shoot mainly large format but, I have to admit I don't participate here a much as I used to. I seem to be spending my time elsewhere. 950 users logged on, and only 119 members, 798 guests (guests?)???! There always seemed way more than that. Is it because it's January and I never really paid attention before? Covid? Those numbers seem unusally low...

Re: Has Number LFF Members here dwindled?

Well, as an interesting data point, the forum says that:

Most users ever online was 12,386, 19-Oct-2020 at 20:31.

The most users ever were online just a few months ago, so that's an encouraging sign isn't it? I wonder if there is data to show when the "record" was improved, and does it show a general trend of user increase? (Obviously this data point will always trend up, but at what rate?).

January is generally a slow month according to YouTube views, perhaps that can be extrapolated generally for online activity? I don't know.

It would be interesting to see forum data points in graph form if that was somehow easily available (my wife works with data sets and I have a general interest in data-gathering and analysis).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Has Number LFF Members here dwindled?

In vBulletin terminology, "guests" are viewers who are not logged in. You cannot log in unless you are a member, as otherwise you don't have login credentials.

I'm going to merge this with an earlier thread on the same topic - a review of the earlier posts should be enlightening. Note in particular the number of "active members" reported at various points. As I post this, our front page is showing 3,525.

How are we logged off?

I use at least 3 devices a day, sometimes logged in on all and log off only when I WANT A BREAK

I also check stats casually and see lower historical participation over the last 10 years

however I also notice eBay sellers follow us closely, as prices change and gear appears after we chat

lastly I sense a PM only crowd that ignores the main drag and communicates behind the curtain

maybe I am the Tin Man

where is Dorothy....
    Tin Can

Les

Randy, you are logged off when Oren or Ralphy clicks a red light next to your name :>).
    Apparently there are watchers here who watch other watchers. Disregard if this makes no sense.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    lastly I sense a PM only crowd that ignores the main drag and communicates behind the curtain
    I definitely get a variety of PM's and direct emails from "lurkers" or very low participation members about different things. I got a ton of emails after I organized a group buy (after closing it) and still occasionally get them asking if I can do another or sell my (precious) stock.

Forums are frankly old and not hip. I see many more posts on Facebook and Instagram, and yes I know they are inefficient and not as searchable for general knowledge. Just today I saw a basic question about 210mm lenses for 4x5. But people under 30 are much more likely to participate there than here I think. A large number of "guests" seen here are likely the search bots crawling the pages though as these folks also simply Google their questions if they are smart.
    Last edited by Corran; 13-Jan-2021 at 17:26.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome