Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Sinar P question

8x10 Sinar P question

Alright I pulled the plug and bought my first 8x10. After 30 years of 4x5 I just wanted the experience of big film.

So I bought a used Sinar P. Camera is in decent shape, its not new but fine from first blush. Bad part is bellows is trash, tons of light leaks. Lots of tape, and still plenty of leaks.

I have a extra bellows with back that i can change out but it is the meter setup and the new to me P has the standard back.

A couple of quick questions, where to buy a bellows, Sinar or custom?

The P has a decent GG with fresnel, will the fresnel fit the meter back?

NEVERMIND, what I was described as a Sinar fresnel is a sheet of plastic with fresnel embossed. UUGGG.

The extra 8x10 changing kit is for a P2, in addition to being much larger will it work with the P. I would just try but Im tired and figured there was a ton of local knowledge here.

Just put the P2 8x10 kit on the camera, sure is a ton bigger. I bought the change kit by mistake and was planning to sell it. Bellows is near new in appearance.

So do I sell the meter back and buy a original bellows or just be happy the way it is. Not exactly light proof like seller described.

Thanks in advance.

bob

Re: 8x10 Sinar P question

To the older P you need also the older P bellows and visa versa.

Cheers Armin

As you have discovered the metering back and bellows are larger than the standard ones....I fell into this trap and got a standard 10x8 back and frame and then bought via mail order, metering bellows which are too big. Nothings easy is it?

Cheers Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    The P has a decent GG with fresnel, will the fresnel fit the meter back?

NEVERMIND, what I was described as a Sinar fresnel is a sheet of plastic with fresnel embossed. UUGGG.
    Sounds like a Sinar fresnel, before you poo-poo it, try it with a lens, you may be rather surprised. I can't live without my 8x10 fresnel, it just makes life soooo much easier.

I'm settled down now. I've approached the seller, lets see what he thinks.

I have a usable camera with the meter back and bellows so I can at least use the camera. The original GG/frame is OK. but I never saw a fresnel that was just a sheet of flexible plastic. The ones on my other cameras are molded in (linhof superscreen) or are a rigid second piece of rigid plastic in a frame?

The original bellows is trash. So I've got to find a replacement for the long pull. This meter back is just too big. Were I in a studio, I be OK with it, but I will use it in the field, (close to car for sure) so I've got to replace the original.

Nice feature of Sinar to be so modular that a P2 meter 8x10 kit works on the original P.

The P is worthy of an overhaul as I understand it's fairly inexpensive.

The original P bellows is quite expensive, I'll look for one on ebay, but is there anyone who also builds bellows that I should consider.

bob

I bought an unused Camera Bellows-made bellows from the person who sold me my 8x10 Norma. I bought a $40 trashed 8x10 bellows on eBay, scrapped the frames clean and contact cemented the bellows to the frames. It was nicer quality than the OEM Sinar bellows (I think they make the Linhof bellows so they should be). They were also much less expensive.

The nice thing is that you should be able to order a Sinar bellows from Camera Bellows (or whatever they are called nowadays) in the UK and have them make up the bellows without the cost of the frames -- they already have the pattern since they've made so many Sinar bellows before -- and then when it arrives, trash your current holey bellows that you've been getting by with. Or watch eBay for another cheap trashed bellows w good frames.

Precision Camera Works can rebuild the P standards.

Bob, speaking from lots and lots of experience with Sinar gear (especially 810's), I would dismantle the camera and sell (unload) the parts individually on the "Bay". Most of these cameras (especially the 810's) are worn out from years of studio use. Basically you have 25-30 pounds of metal (junk).

Unload it ASAP - otherwise you are just wasting your time and money.

lol

I'd like to buy all of your "junk" cameras Robert -- you're a perfectionist!

I guess I'd avoid buying studio cameras from Chicago, NYC, and High Point, NC -- where a lot of the big catalog production studios were. But even in the 70s - the Sinar P era - 8x10s weren't used everyday, most places shot 4x5 by then. In the 50-60s studio guys shot a lot of 8x10 because they would retouch right on the film.

Robert,
    would you care to elucidate what it is that wears? every contact area is nylon to aluminum and all the nylon parts are replaceable (rather inexpensively). So even the most worn out 8x10 can work like new with some maintenance.

erie, you are 100% correct - you can make an old 1972 Sinar or 1972 Cadillac perform satisfactorily if enough time and money is expended. But in the end you still have a beat up old camera /car - if that floats your boat, go ahead, it is a free country.