Thread: How do you ??????????

How do you ??????????

How do I get my scanner (Epson V700) to not scan so well? That's a strange question I know but my scanner seems to be scanning to well. I have B&W 4x5 negs and I think their is just SO much info in the neg that the scanner picks up to much detail.I notice grain in the sky and the detail in rocks or middle value's look like they came from a computer.I would like to be able to get a "lesser" scan just to see what happens. My dpi is usually set to 300-600, my target size is 11x14,or 16x20. What can I try,keep it simple Thanks.

Preston Birdwell

Re: How do you ??????????

I believe its not that your scanner is scanning 'too well' it's that your scan resolution is too low for the size image you want. So, what you are seeing is not more detail or grain, but noise.

I suggest that you scan at the scanner's native optical resolution. The image size should be the same size as your film's image size. Yes, this will create a big file, but you'll then have a high resolution master file from which you can create files at the sizes you want to print.

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Sorry but I'm new to photoshop so I don't understand the terms.What is "Native optical resolution".Keep it as simple as possible.Examples are great!!!

multiplex

if you scan prints do you have the same problem ?

Preston Birdwell

"What is "Native optical resolution"."

This is the highest resolution, in samples per inch, of which your scanner is capable, without interpolation. For example, my Microtek scanner's optical reolution is rated at 1800 samples per inch.

Scan settings are made in your scanner software (driver) and have nothing to do with PhotoShop.

It would be helpful to us who are attempting to assist you if you would provide more details. What scanner software are using? Can you post an image of what you/re seeing?

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Look in the corner of the scan preview... you want to get 44mb for a greyscale and 3x that for a RGB file (132mb) -- scanning 4x5 film at 1200 pixels per inch.

All that matters is the number of pixels you scan (which is directly related to the file size). The bullshit about being 100% or 11x14 or any of that other crap is supposed to make it easier but it usually just confuses the issue.

In general, for inkjet printing, you want to end up with 300 pixels per inch (or dpi- dots if you are loose w definitions) so an optimal 8x10 inch print requires 8x300 by 10x300 = 2400x3000 pixels. 11x14 = 3300 pixels x 4200 pixels. Any more is overkill, but it is good to scan more so you can crop and muck about. If I scan 50% all the better...

The inexpensive consumer scanners all claim to have higher resolutions that what you get in the real-world. I scan 4x5 at only 1200 ppi, but if I were trying to get the most out of an image I'd go 2400 ppi and downsample the huge file to a size that would work comfortably on my computer. No point in have a 800mb file if you computer bogs down and you can work on it. Right now the Epson 700-750-4990 all seem to be the state of the art (the 4990 is older and a little less nice).

Decent desktop art-photo inkjet printers won't resolve more than 300 ppi (Epson 2400-3800, etc.) Most people agree that 4x5 on an Epson scanner and inkjet look great up to 11x14-16x20. You can go larger and I do, but ideally you get into drum or high-end scanners for optimal results.

The nice thing is you can do exhibit-quality portfolio work with desktop gear that costs less than a grand. Going larger just requires more money and time spent on larger files (retouching, etc.)

I agree with Frank. I have an older Epson scanner but the operation is the same. I scan 4x5 at 2100 dpi. I scan 6x7 at 2400. No sharpening in the scanner. I edit and print from Lightroom with minimal sharpening. I'm pleased with the results.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei