Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loupes and dark cloth

Loupes and dark cloth

Hey guys,

Can I get a recommendation for a loupe and dark cloth? I was out last night with my Sinar (finally!) and had a great old time with it. I'm just using a black tshirt which is sufficing but it's not incredibly dark under there! Also focusing was mostly fine although I think I definitely need a loupe so any recommendations for one of those would be appreciated.

It was pretty interesting taking out the camera for the first time, I had a number of people approach me and ask questions about the camera. People seemed intrigued about the bellows and said it looked like one of those "old school cameras". Personally, I think the Sinar F2 looks pretty futuristic and quite modern, despite the bellows! But I was getting attention the likes of which I never got with my old DSLR

Got a couple of shots back from the lab today, I'm going to scan them in later and will get them online for all to see. Am very, very pleased with the results. The subject matter isn't that interesting and the composition leaves a little to be desired. Aside from that, they look sharp, the colour from Velvia 100 is fab but most importantly the exposure is close to spot on, if just a touch dark.

Love this large format lark!

Re: Loupes and dark cloth

Find a 4X to 6X loupe. I got one from Calumet that doubles as a negative/slide viewer new it cost $70 +-. Dark cloth i use a large size film changing bag that cost under $30.00 this was less than the dark cloth that all range from $50-70
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

LightJacket and +6 reading glasses.

I use a blackjacket darkcloath and a Leica lens from a 35mm slideprojecter that was lying in the attic as a loupe. Works very well.

Back in the deeps of time I made a dark cloth by sewing black velour onto a commercial, but flimsy dark cloth. I used it for years. And hated it. Recently, I bought a Blackjacket from Lightworks. It uses an elastic band to hold what looks like an oversized shirt to the rear of the camera, providing "sleeve" holes for the arms. It was a real revelation to be able to use both hands on the camera and not worry about wind. Cheap at twice the price.

For years, I used a Horizon 4X loupe, though I have in the past done critical focusing with a cheapie Peak 10X loupe. The 10X is too much for most applications--all you see is the grain of the ground glass--but the 4X was too bulky, and too difficult to hold at the angle required for the ultrawides that I use. I would turn it backwards and make it work, but I have again had my eyes opened by a newer product. In this case, it is a Silvestri 6X tilting loupe. The tilting base allows one to place it firmly on the ground glass (the base is protected by soft stuff) and still point the loupe into the center of the lens. 4X was always not quite enough for really critical focusing for 6x12 and 4x5, but 6X is plenty of magnification without being too much.

Both of these are more expensive than home-found alternatives, but they have each contributed to a more pleasant experience. Looking at the ground glass used to be easier for me than it is now--in the 15 years I was absent from large-format photography, my eyes went to pot and now I have trifocals that cause no end of frustration. Having a dark cloth and loupe that each work with the least fiddling minimizes that irritation. The Maxwell screen is more useful than both, though. That is a more expensive accessory, however.

Rick "never regretting investments in ease of use" Denney

A black sweat shirt will do in a pinch for a dark cloth. My bride sewed me a custom dark cloth for a fraction of the cost of a store-bought model. A 9x Agfa Loupe is a cheap solution but most people like lower power loupes. I currently use a Silvestri 6x but that is probably over kill (I happen to have an infatuation for things italian, so it works for me) nearly everyone I know prefers the Toyo loupe, which you can find used for not too much money. Another option is to use a linen tester.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I like the Blackjacket focusing cloth.

For a loupe, I've been happy with a Toyo 3.6x in the past. Alas, as my eyesight changes I find myself looking for a focusable loupe. The Toyo doesn't work well for me anymore. I'm interested in what other people will recommend in this thread.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

I'm happy with a BTZS cloth, the tunnel shape is very convenient.

I use a Silvestri x4 loupe, and tried a x8 in the past. 8x as too much, 4 is great

I'm a fan of Harrison darkcloths. I seem to be in the minority here, but I prefer a fairly large cloth. I tried BTZS and Blackjackets and never got along with them. I have used a Toyo loupe for years and have been very happy with it. Recently I put together a light-weight kit and needed a new loupe. I was in a miserly mood and didn't feel like paying for a new magnifier, so I borrowed the 50mm lens I use as a loupe in my darkroom to try. Guess what? It works great. So I bought a 50mm Nikon Series E lens (nice and light plastic construction) that had had a hard life for $9.00, tied a string around it so I can hang it around my neck, and tossed it in my bag.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Smile Re: Loupes and dark cloth

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post

Rick "never regretting investments in ease of use" Denney

Amen to that thought!