Thread: Emulsion Making Classes at Photographers Formulary

Emulsion Making Classes at Photographers Formulary

For those that haven't seen my post on this at APUG yet - the Photographers Formulary is offering a couple classes taught by our own Denise Ross this summer. The first one is -

"Hancrafted Silver Gelatin Paper" will be from June 13-18, 2010. Cost is $ 725.00.

The focus of the class is "making artisan black & white silver gelatin paper" and Denise will show you how to turn your own home workspace into an emulsion making 'lab'. Of one of Denise's glass emulsion well kit is included with the course.

I've held Denise's hand made silver gelatin paper and they are of such high quality the you would be surprised that someone made it by hand!

Here's a link to the Formulary's web site that has the full class discription:
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=1&tabid=13

The second class Denise is giving is -
    "Beginning Dry Plate Photography" from Aug. 29 - Sept. 3, 2010, Cost is $725.00.

Denise will show everything you need to know to get started photographing with handcrafted silver gelatin negatives, both glass plate and film-based.

You will learn to make two basic emulsions, plus the vocabulary and techniques to craft custom emulsions. In addition, you will learn about glass snapping and finishing, subbed film, cameras and plate holders, and exposure and processing. This is a very hands-on class, pulling many skills together.

Here's a link for the page listing more info on the Dry Plate class:
    http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...dex=3&tabid=15

In the spirit of disclosure, I have agreed to be the lab assistant for at least one of Denise's classes.

Re: Emulsion Making Classes at Photographers Formulary

This is kind of spooky. Just earlier today I was looking for a source for 11x14 film, and somehow came across the pages describing these classes, and planned to sign up for them. I hope to see you there, money permitting.

Michael - I hope to see you there!

Dakotah - I don't that Denise will actually make panchromatic emulsions as they must be made in total darkness, and it also becomes hard to demonstrate the process with no safelights on!

The emulsions will be blue sensitive and it would be possible to do a blue/green ortho film in the dry plate glass. I've got some green sensitizing dye that we could use.

But the techniques and knowledge taught in the class will give you all the basics so that if you want to make pan film, then you will be set for that.

Thanks for the information Kirk. Really wish I could make this, but will have to pass this time. Hopefully there will be more such classes in the future. I really love the idea of being able to learn to create a one's own silver based film and paper to print on.

Workshops:
    The Art of Black & White Photography
    Platinum Printing in the 21st Century
    Carbon Printing
    Matte Albumen
    Daguerreotype: A Contemporary Approach
    Basic Wet Plate Collodion
    Inkjet Printing in an Alternate Universe
    Adventures in Image Transfer
    Mordançage
    What does the storage of photo printing boards and photo collection essay have in common?
    Learn the gimmicks and tricks by photographers and let's check the schedule for the summer workshops.

Just an update about the workshops, since the above links are not working anymore: http://www.workshopsinmt.com/
    The Formulary Workshops are located in Montana's Swan Valley.
    There's also a book for sale - "Photographic Emulsion Making, Coating and Testing" by Ron Mowrey - $100.00

I thought Ron’s book was all sold out a few years ago...the last copies going to Nick and Mark at GEM a couple years ago. Did PF still have a few stashed in a corner? That’d be great if they did, as Ron is, sadly, no longer around to publish more.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com