Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Fake Schneider lens?

Re: Fake Schneider lens?

I'm guessing that there was some sort of tariff/tax situation that made it viable to assemble (i.e. screw the cells into the shutter) in Korea rather than just buy complete units. The same person has sold a number of "Penta" brand Toyo clones and there was another brand as well, bot made in Korea, so it seems like there was some sort of Korean LF activity.

What I am surprised about is the final price, it does seem rather a lot for a Symmar-S.

I bought one of these "Krishna Symmar" lenses from a Korean site on E-bay. It was sold as "Schneider Symmar Multicoating" and the displayed photos showed neither Krishna nor Schneider. Was surprised with a rather low winning bid of $255. Then I got the lens.
    The lens looks clean, barrel has no scratches and the Copal0 shutter appears to be relatively new, although clearly slower at all speeds. On the outer side of the front element it is written: Symmar-KRISHNA 5.6/150 SYMMAR MULTICOATING, then in small letters: Lens by Germany / Product by R.O.K. Upon inquiry, the seller sent me this explanation:
    "This afternoon I've advised by a Schneider's licensed lens dealer in my domestic.
    Yes, You're right . It's a family version of SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH , made for Asian market -To Japan, Korea, China etc.

Sorry if you've confused with it. But I want to let you know, We Korean do value a Krishna as a Kreuznach because both are from Schneider's brand. And it makes a good image, not easily comparable to both of the output, many Korean commersial photo guys do shoot with Krishina version ( Krishina is a little cheaper than Kreusnach version) . Symmar is a brand as Caltar, Sinaron, But Kriahina Kreuznach are name of province of manufacturer - So they also call it as "a version".

Amazingly Lots of Schneider's lenses are made in a plant in Korea today, most photo guys know it's from Germany. No ! lots are from Korea !!"
    I decided to return the lens. Not that I have anything against Korean products, but I would still rather go for German Schneider if I am sold one (even though it might have been made in Korea anyway...). I wonder what Schneider has to say about this?
    Hope this helps.
    p.s. I did not try the lens - I wish I could. Probably was o.k. Any experiences out there?

Quote Originally Posted by lokomotiva View Post
    I bought one of these "Krishna Symmar" lenses from a Korean site on E-bay. It was sold as "Schneider Symmar Multicoating" and the displayed photos showed neither Krishna nor Schneider. Was surprised with a rather low winning bid of $255. Then I got the lens.
    The lens looks clean, barrel has no scratches and the Copal0 shutter appears to be relatively new, although clearly slower at all speeds. On the outer side of the front element it is written: Symmar-KRISHNA 5.6/150 SYMMAR MULTICOATING, then in small letters: Lens by Germany / Product by R.O.K. Upon inquiry, the seller sent me this explanation:
    "This afternoon I've advised by a Schneider's licensed lens dealer in my domestic.
    Yes, You're right . It's a family version of SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH , made for Asian market -To Japan, Korea, China etc.

Sorry if you've confused with it. But I want to let you know, We Korean do value a Krishna as a Kreuznach because both are from Schneider's brand. And it makes a good image, not easily comparable to both of the output, many Korean commersial photo guys do shoot with Krishina version ( Krishina is a little cheaper than Kreusnach version) . Symmar is a brand as Caltar, Sinaron, But Kriahina Kreuznach are name of province of manufacturer - So they also call it as "a version".

Amazingly Lots of Schneider's lenses are made in a plant in Korea today, most photo guys know it's from Germany. No ! lots are from Korea !!"
    I decided to return the lens. Not that I have anything against Korean products, but I would still rather go for German Schneider if I am sold one (even though it might have been made in Korea anyway...). I wonder what Schneider has to say about this?
    Hope this helps.
    p.s. I did not try the lens - I wish I could. Probably was o.k. Any experiences out there?
    The part about the Korean made Schneider lenses refers to the lenses on Samsung digital compact cameras which are made under license from Schneider - similar to the "Leica" lenses on Panasonic digital compacts being made in Japan. The lens cells of the one you had, however, would have been made by Schneider in Kreuznach, just screwed into a shutter in Korea - thats what "Lens by Germany / Product by R.O.K" means, I think.

Thread resurrection...

Instead of starting a a new one, I thought I'd add to an old one.

Another fake Schneider lens on ebay, sold as fake getting 147 Euros. The copal shutter is apparently genuine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APO-SYMMA...p2047675.l2557

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fake 1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	200483Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fake 2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	200482

Cheers,
    Duff

Just when you thought you'd seen everything . . .

Drew Wiley

Never ever underestimate the ability of the Chinese to make knock-offs. The good ones are even stamped and labeled perfectly (doesn't mean the quality is equal). Before I retired, I saw piles of this kind of thing - lots of power tool, very expensive door hardware, much of it very good looking but functionally almost worthless. But the lens picture posted in this case just looks overall fishy. I might work OK, maybe, maybe not, but is certainly an outright deception trying to imitate something known to be pricey. My very favorite example was a line of electric rotary hammers being sold by "factory-direct" truck at a big local flea market. That truck had interchangeable magnetic signs. But from the same source came a Makita rotary hammer with a label stating, "Made in Germany", and a Bosch rotary hammer stating, "Made in Japan". Well, nobody's perfect. Both came to our repair dept after failing within three days, and were obviously unwarranted and unrepairable. Then when they asked who can handle them, the answer was simple, Go to the guy who sells ten dollar Rolex watches out of the trunk of his car, and ask him. I particularly enjoy the Schneider "Kresfnuch" in this case.

B-b-but can they copycat Schneideritis?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

They just call it Fakeritis. Not all that much worse than arthritis.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I particularly enjoy the Schneider "Kresfnuch" in this case.
    Here it is!

Name:	Bad Kresfnuch.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	200498

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Here it is!

Name:	Bad Kresfnuch.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	200498
    You do know that some people are going to believe that little bit of manipulation don't you.

...adding to the web of deception