Thread: Technika Adaptor & Sinar Shutter

Technika Adaptor & Sinar Shutter

When I first got a Sinar P, I also obtained a Technika adapter. I probably got it on eBay, at a good value, from an "aftermarket" provider. It worked fine.

Later, I got a Sinar Shutter - which has 2 pins that protrude forward towards the lens.

That Technika adaptor, presses against those 2 pins - even when no lens or Technika board is on the adaptor. It prevents normal use of the Sinar shutter.

Is there a "better" or "correct" Technika adaptor out there, which doesn't interfere with the Sinar shutter ?

Many thanks !!

Lachlan 717

Re: Technika Adaptor & Sinar Shutter

Ken,

Can you please post a photos showing this from a bit further away?

I use the shutter on a Horseman and on a Shen with no issues, but I suspect that their front standards are thicker than the Sinar one.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

The bottom pin only moves through the radius slot in connection with F values under 5.6 and the operation of the dedicated sinar lens sets. So all you need is a small hole for the bottom pin and a short passage slit (1 cm) for the shutter catch (upper) pin. Even modified real Sinar boards can have problems. I have a sinar board which has been mounted with a wooden spacer which has been strong enough to cause a slight bending of the board - and interference with the pins. Oh, the copal shutter does still have the rubber gaskets in the recessed grove?

"The bottom pin only moves through the radius slot in connection with F values under 5.6 and the operation of the dedicated sinar lens sets."

Eureka - That's the secret ! - And it explains why the board has worked intermittently in the past.

When we set the aperture to the smallest setting (f/5.6), the pin doesn't move at all. My existing Technika adaptor board works perfectly. I'm back in business !

"Can you please post a photos showing this from a bit further away?"

Here's a photo taken from further away, with the Technika adaptor board in place. The red arrows point to the outer edges of the board, as it sits within the Sinar shutter.

Lachlan 717

Ken,

It does look like the Sinar front standard is thinner than the Horseman/Shen Hao...

Explains why I haven't encounted this issue.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Hi Ken,
    I have a Sinar shutter too and use it with only barrel lens so I removed the pins.

If you don't have DB boards it's easy:

Take the 4 screws out of the front of the shutter in each corner, remove plate. The ring around the opening just lifts off, set aside. The upper right pin is on 2 small screws, remove & place all in a baggie for later reconstruction.

If you don't go poking around in there you're pretty safe.

Good Luck!
    Steve