Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re Sinar Auto Shutter

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Question re Sinar Auto Shutter

I'm thinking of adapting a Sinar Auto Shutter to use IN FRONT of the front standard, for barrel lenses in the following way: there is a Sinar adapter the shutter attaches to (from a gentleman in Hong Kong) and the other side of the adapter fits like a lens board on the front standard. The screw-in opening on the shutter front will take a Technica type adapter(screw on one side, regular clips on other to hold lens mounted on Technika boards). See:

and

My questions: seems like this should work? The gentleman is also working on a Sinar 5.5" adapter - this would be better than the Technika, since it would allow for bigger diameter barrel lenses to be mounted than on the Technika board, no?

This seems like a better arrangement than between standard and bellows since it is more portable and less disruptive of camera, albeit requiring a modest investment in 2 adapters.

Auxiliary questions re the Sinar Auto Shutter:

Is there a controlable aperture on this shutter or are those f stop numbers on the side display a reading when a lens is coupled to the shutter? Why is there a screw in hole on the shutter front? What was it (the threaded hole) originally for? Is the intended use for this shutter to go between front standard and bellows? Then I guess this could work too with barrel lenses mounted on Sinar boards and no protruding rear elements placed directly in the usual way onto the front standard?

Sorry if this is a bit unclear; it reflects my unfamiliarity and confusion regarding this type of shutter.

Thank you for your help!
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Re: Question re Sinar Auto Shutter

I meant to ask (more specifically): with the Auto Shutter mounted between front standard and bellows, what is the use of the threaded opening on the shutter front?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

Lachlan 717

Richard,

I don't use mine with DB mounted lenses, so I am
    not sure how they connect to the shutter. They could use some of the holes/threads etc that you mention.

One thing that I did want to draw your attention to is one benefit of mounting the shutter behind the front standard:

If you have a lens whose rear element extends behind the mounting flange, you get some space. If it is in front, you'll need a "Top Hat" lens board. Otherwise, you risk jamming the lens into the shutter blades.

I firmly believe that the shutter behind/iris clamp in front is the best way to do this (the clamp providing further room behind the rear element).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post

One thing that I did want to draw your attention to is one benefit of mounting the shutter behind the front standard:

If you have a lens whose rear element extends behind the mounting flange, you get some space. If it is in front, you'll need a "Top Hat" lens board. Otherwise, you risk jamming the lens into the shutter blades.
    Good point. I guess there are lenses where even your set-up won't work- i.e. they protrude way beyond the flange? I do get some relief from the shutter to standard adapter, about the same as the thickness of the front standard in your case but not with the iris clamp...what is that anyway?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Good point. I guess there are lenses where even your set-up won't work- i.e. they protrude way beyond the flange? I do get some relief from the shutter to standard adapter, about the same as the thickness of the front standard in your case but not with the iris clamp...what is that anyway?
    It's a strong metal iris that, as the name suggests, clamps the lens in place. It is used in place of a specific lens board.

If you search here under "Universal Iris Clamp", you should find some photos. Keep in mind that these aren't small; mine's on a Sinar lens board.

I can post some photos later if you want. If you search for a Thead that I posted recently showing my new Shen, there is a photo of my set up (showing the shutter, clamp and Petzval in situ).
    Lachlan.

perptual newbee

The shutter shown in item for the spacer does not look like an auto aperture shutter.
    At least it is not like mine. My auto aperture shutter has a coupling pin which is proud of the shutter face which pushes on a leaver on DB mounts to close the diaphragm . I do not see how the Linhof style adapter takes this into account. Maybe the threaded sleeve is long enough to be able to safely leave the pin free from touching the adapter. The seller does say it would filt all Sinar shutters though, so he should know.
    I wouldn't use it if there was a chance of accidentally pushing the pin into the body.

I do not know why the shutter has a threaded aperture, possibly for some filter holder, though behind the lens is not where I would have them.

The Auto shutters are settable. There is a setting nob coupled to the indicator so you can tell what f-stop you are using. It indicates the taking aperture as the viewing is normally done with the aperture fully open, thus the term "Auto". It is designed to go between the front standard and the bellows.

There is no doubt that the mounting of the sinar copal behind the lens board is an attractive aesthetic solution - if you have only a few taking cameras and limited size barrel lenses. But the double lens board (different types/step-up/distance piece) is more adaptable for wide lenses and multiformats. The original sinar copal (in green norma livery) is a bit nicer to work with as it without the (superfluous for us) side adjustment panel for F setting. I enclose images of the two types below. The basic body shapes are identical.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    But the double lens board (different types/step-up/distance piece) is more adaptable for wide lenses and multiformats.
    Steven,

Can you please elaborate on this?

It doesn't seem to be correct as far as wide lenses go as you are moving the lens forward half the thickness of the double lens board. Wouldn't this mean needing recessed LBs to compensate the increase of Film to Flange Distance?

Or, do you mean the width of the actual lens, not the focal length?

Can you please explain the "multiformats" adaptability?

Thanks in advance,
    Lachlan.

I have a Sinar Shutter like the one on top. It fits into the read of the standard, and the bellows fit into its rear.

Some lenses are too wide to mount on a Technika board. I mount those on a Sinar board. Other lenses are rather small, and are mounted on Technika boards. When using them, I place a Sinar-Technika adapter on the front of the standard.

Even when using barrel lenses, the Sinar shutter needs some clearance between it and the rear of the lens - because the shutter has some pins which protrude forward, which need to move freely.

As pointed out, some barrel lenses may be mounted in such a way that their rear would ordinarily touch the shutter mechanism or interfere with the movement of the pins. They need to remounted with spacer rings, so that they sit forward of the shutter. These lenses are not just the big ones. Even a rather small lens can interfere, if its rear sits back too close to the shutter.

So, if you plan to mount the shutter in front of the lens, make sure that those pins face away from the lens.

Care is needed, since the shutter is not designed to be exposed to the elements. When not in use, I always cover mine with an empty lens board, for protection. That's another reason why it's best to place it between the bellows and the standard: it won't get damaged.

I were adapting it to another camera, I would try to use it as designed: behind the front standard, and in front of the bellows. In fact, I have often thought about getting something made for my old 5x7 Kodak 2A.

Richard,

I looked at Sinar Auto Shutter before I settled with my Packard shutter box for reason that Sinar Auto shutter couldn't accommendate lenses of large diameter like a Heliar 36cm. Go find an universal iris clamp.

Here is a picture of my "Dan Dozer Packard shutter box" with my Kodad 2D camera.

Hugo