Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl & Prypiat

Re: Chernobyl & Prypiat

Very interesting, thanks for posting the shots. This reminds me of a History Channel series, "Life After People" in which Chernobyl was center stage. It was interesting how, as you noted, nature was reclaiming much of the surrounding area, however the infrastructure was continually deteriorating without man to maintain it.

Which shots are large format?

AWESOME, that you got the opportunity to visit - that place i high ranking among my favorite destinations, photowise. Was the idea inspired by Polidori's work in the area? (haven't got the book myself yet - soon to be changed.)

One thing that I couldn't find in your (otherwise informative and interesting) text was how you obtained the necessary permits. Could you tell us a little bit?

And another thing. Do you know of any english/german resource of eastern european industrial complexes? I live in Denmark and both Poland, the old DDR and the Baltic countries are within reasonable distance for me. I have this (unconfirmed) notion, that the old east block is packed with industrial gems. If you have any tips on where I can find good information... please let me know.

thanks in advance!
    lars

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Galbraith View Post
    Which shots are large format?
    In my album http://www.podniesinski.pl/galeria/t...s.php?album=76
    If my memory serves me right - 3/28, 6/28, 7/28,8/28, 10/28, 26/28, 27/28, 28/28
    Quote Originally Posted by mortensen View Post
    Was the idea inspired by Polidori's work in the area? (haven't got the book myself yet - soon to be changed.)
    I’ve never heard about Polidori. So I checked. Do you think that I should sell my photos?
    One thing that I couldn't find in your (otherwise informative and interesting) text was how you obtained the necessary permits. Could you tell us a little bit?
    Nowadays it is not so hard to go to Chernobyl with one of many tourist agencies from Ukraine. The problem is when you want to stay longer than 1 day, be there without a group of 40 fans of Call of Duty or see unusual or military places. It is why I organize everything directly in a government agency in Ukraine. If you want to go there send me PM.
    And another thing. Do you know of any english/german resource of eastern european industrial complexes? I live in Denmark and both Poland, the old DDR and the Baltic countries are within reasonable distance for me. I have this (unconfirmed) notion, that the old east block is packed with industrial gems. If you have any tips on where I can find good information... please let me know.
    True, but the problem is that the most interesting sources are provided in local languages (Polish, Czech and Russian)

Thanks for the fast reply! Regarding Polidori, I guess what you found was this...
    http://www.steidlville.com/books/89-...Chernobyl.html

quite a few overlapping locations!

Thanks for the optional help with permits. I probably won't be able to go this year (although the thing about the reactor surely nags), but when you least expect it, I'll be yelling for assistance appreciate it, really.

... and regarding the languages... that was what I thought, unfortunately.

Richard M. Coda

I saw that "Life After People" program, too. Made me want to get on the first plane to Russia... my wife quickly put the kabosh on that.

It reminded me of going through Ellis Island in 1984 with the NPS for a documentation project, but we only had to wear hardhats, no gas masks or Geiger counters.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

thanks in advance!
    lars

Try looking for Bitterfeld and Leuna Werke in the former DDR.

Chernobyl is no real threat to the visitor. A collegue of mine spent months there in the 90's with a long term evaluation project during the period when the EU poured money into technical development in the former East European States and CIS. Everything is in the ground/water and has been there for a long time with little ambient radiation. Don't roll around in the dirt/mud or pluck apples and you should be OK.

Wonderful. I've been playing Stalker Call of Prypiat over that terrain for weeks now. Prypiat is pretty well exactly modeled over quite a bit of the town, The Jupiter factory complex is pretty well exact too. Built by Ukrainians the game is amazing.

Good photography and evocative framing. I wish you luck on the next expedition and look forward to the pictures.

I agree with Steve. After being to Nagasaki's ground zero, they said that grass wouldn't grow there until the late 2000's and it's one of the most beautiful parks I've ever been to. While I'm sure I wouldn't go and try and inhabit the place, I'm sure visiting it for short terms wouldn't be horrible. Neat photos, thanks for sharing. That's, for some reason, one place I'd love to visit.