Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Film vs. Digital?

Re: Film vs. Digital?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhunter57 View Post
    Digital photography as created a whole new bunch of photographers, too many in my opinion who really wouldnt know where to start with a pinhole, fortunetly I was taught practice with 5x4 film cameras teaches you to make less and less mistakes so that when I go out to do a photograph more often than not I take one shot but spend a long long time setting up the shot, with digital its do tons of shots and choose the best one, I use 35mm digital for quick cheap photography PR/press stuff but 5x4 film for anything worthy of quality
    Unfortunately, the practice you were taught apparently didn't include basic elements of grammar, otherwise you'd probably be making even fewer mistakes...

where's my excedrin?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhunter57 View Post
    Digital photography as created a whole new bunch of photographers, too many in my opinion who really wouldnt know where to start with a pinhole, fortunetly I was taught practice with 5x4 film cameras teaches you to make less and less mistakes so that when I go out to do a photograph more often than not I take one shot but spend a long long time setting up the shot, with digital its do tons of shots and choose the best one, I use 35mm digital for quick cheap photography PR/press stuff but 5x4 film for anything worthy of quality
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Unfortunately, the practice you were taught apparently didn't include basic elements of grammar, otherwise you'd probably be making even fewer mistakes...
    Stephen, don't be surprised to have discovered another supercilious gentleman...there's always one lurking behind a keyboard somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Avenaim View Post
    one might also wonder if some are so insecure with their own skill sets
    Well I know I'm pretty insecure with my own skill sets which is why I poke around here hoping to glean tips to help be more secure and improve.Anyhoo I've never heard of you or even bother to look at those magazines on the grocery store racks, but its kinda cool to have a celebrity photographer pay a visit I guess.Now if only John Sexton, Bruce Barnbaum, Ray McSaveny, and Kim Weston would join the party

P.S. Jerry, your cover shots look very nice on the site, but you might consider re-scanning those top two polaroids in the article as they are completely blown, at least on my calibrated Eizo.Also do you have any links to your own personal large format work?Its always interesting to see high profile commercial photographers personal work.Thanks!

C

Two counterpoint articles (essentially the same, but here are the links):

http://robertbenson.com/blog/2009/12...till-use-film/

http://stocklandmartelblog.com/2010/...till-use-film/

Pro photographers still using film, and why they do that. Interesting viewpoints. Just for reference, Stockland Martel is one of the big reps in the industry.

Would I be wrong to say that photographers who "spray and pray" with their digital systems are fine doing that? Obviously there is no craftsmanship with that method of photography, but I'm not sure it really matters in the end. Everyone gets what they want out of photography and some prefer the slow, assured method getting the shot they want first time, others are happy sifting through gigabytes of photographs they shot earlier on in the day to get that shot. Personally, I've given up digital because I'm interested in learning how to be a good photographer and get that one shot, and while I believe I could have achieved that with digital too, there's a "romantic" and historic aspect of using large format that appeals to me greatly. A good friend (and photographer) of mine thinks it's amusing that I've gone down this route and keeps making jokes about using flash powder and talks about my camera as if it's something from 1855. He's digital through and through and thinks nothing of spending a few hours in photoshop editing his photographs until they look nothing like what he shot. Horses for courses/each to their own, I suppose.

I am surprised at the number of people who care about things like "spray and shoot" photographers. They are 99.9% hack photographers creating crap. There has always been hack photographers creating crap, and always will be hack photographers creating crap. If they get lucky every now and then and create something nice, then fine. And if they post them on some bulletin board and their friends say "great photo!" then fine too (if they get excited in their rare successes, most likely they will become more educated and mature and learn from those successes). It doesn't take away anything from any other photographer. It's relatively rare that they are ever confused with serious photographers creating compelling work. And from my perspective, the more people who notice photography the better for all of us.

I saw Halle's tits in Swordfish and I wasn't impressed.

As for the blog…meh, each to their own.

Octogenarian

Hey Sam,

I saw the rest of her body in the movie, "Monster's Ball". Looked great to me.

I certainly wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Avenaim View Post
    Happy New Year one and all!

I just wrote and article on the subject film vs. digital and included large format vs small.

I think you will all appreciate it, and I would really love your feedback on this article - Photography and the Art of Discipline!

Jerry Avenaim
    Jerry, it comes across a bit "hey kids! get the f*** off my lawn"-ish.

Sure, this forum is populated with grumpy old men, but grumpy old men have been complaining for millennia that the new guys have no discipline. You don't know discipline until you have sculpted Nefertiti in hard black granite. This photo stuff is waaaaay too easy!

On the other hand, leading off with a paragraph lauding wonderfulness and your chutzpah is a brilliant way of giving a concrete example of the chutzpah! Perfect.