Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On route locations---CA to CO

On route locations---CA to CO

I'll be off on a quick trip to Colorado for a shoot . I don't have much time coming or going but if anyone can recommend some photogenic locations along HWY 40 and 491 (Barstow CA to Cortez CO) I'd much appreciate knowing. I'll be en route to Durango so there is the option of taking HWY 64 from Shiprock to Farmington and either 170/140 or 550 North to Durango, although I don't know how these routes are during winter weather.
    So...any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: On route locations---CA to CO

We have homes in both Northern California and Southern Colorado (60 miles east of Durango) So we make the drive about 4 times a year. Because we come from Northern California we usually travel highway 50 but we take the Southern Route in the Winter.
    I would recommend Valley of Fire State Park near Vegas but it's off of I 15. You won't be too far from Page Arizona on this route and you can go to Antelope Canyon. This is a Navajo Park and you must take a tour in the upper canyon. The lower canyon has tours also but generally they just lead you in and let you go about your business. If you want to get on a tour of the upper canyon go with Overland Tours. My wife and I went in mid summer on the first tour of the day and we were the only ones with our guide and he was another photographer so we got some good shots before the larger tours arrived.
    The drive from Gallup to Farmington features a lot of Monument Valley like formations near the road. Depending on weather conditions and time of day these can be quite spectacular. The Bisti Badlands and Chaco Canyon near Cortez are great but plan on most of a day for each.
    From Durango take highway 550 to Silverton. A great drive and many photo ops but their is a lot of snow right now and it's quite cold. As I'm writing this at 10:00 AM in Pagosa Springs the temperature is about 14 degrees.
    As a Fresno native (Born, Raised and Educated ?) I wish you lots of luck on your trip

We're here till early Feb. in Pagosa Springs (60 miles east of Durango) and have plenty of room if your looking for cheap (FREE) accomodations

Oops! How could I forget? Mesa Verde NM right outside of Cortez. Part of the Park is Closed in Winter but there still is much to see and photograph.

Richard M. Coda

Near Flagstaff...

Sunset Crater NM
    http://www.nps.gov/sucr/index.htm

Wupatki NM
    http://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm

further East along I40...
    Petrified Forest NP and Painted Desert
    http://www.nps.gov/pefo/index.htm

further East...
    if you like old 50s style motels (on Rt. 66), Tucumcari, NM
    http://www.tucumcarinm.com/
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by sidmac View Post
    We're here till early Feb. in Pagosa Springs (60 miles east of Durango) and have plenty of room if your looking for cheap (FREE) accomodations
    Thanks for the offer! Alas I only have a short time for the shoot in Ouray so I'll liklely be spending most of my time up there.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

John, I'm fairly amazed how well Colorado keeps the roads and even high passes
    open in the Winter. But they seem to get less depth of snow than our Sierras, and
    if their passes closed, most of the state would shut down. Since Ouray isn't very far
    from the ski hub of Telluride, you'll probably just have to watch immediate forecasts. Telluride itself will be a zoo, at lot like Mammoth around here, but itself
    has things like frozen waterfalls. Black Canyon of the Gunnison isn't terribly far
    away either. In general, a very nice area with a view camera in winter, but you'll
    want warm footwear etc. Have a safe trip!

I would skip the Black Canyon because they close the roads at the visitor center in the winter, unless you plan to xcountry ski in. If you are Ouray, you can shoot the frozen ice climbing park that is pretty cool. You'll have some nice vistas from Ouray to Norwood (dallas divide) but the sun is pretty far south still to get real good light. You can take the back way to moab via dove creek which is a beautiful drive. You'll be driving through beautiful country and just have to use your imagination if time is short and stay near the car. Have fun!
    erik

If you approach Ouray from Durango, return to Dolores on the other road north from Ouray, through Ridgway & past Telluride. Hwys 62 & 145. Just follow the San Juan Skyway signs. I'm sure your eyes will find something camera worthy.

Be safe & have fun. Sometimes, but not always, mutually exclusive.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Eric Biggerstaff

Erik,

I have never taken the back way to Moab from Dove creek, can you give some directions?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com