Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Velvia and Astia discontinued

8x10 Velvia and Astia discontinued

I had found it harder to get Astia (my current film of choice for LF landscape) in 8x10 recently. Today I heard from Jeff of Badger Graphics that Fuji is discontinuing Velvia and Astia in 8x10. Only Provia remains available. 5x7 emulsions are still produced in Japan (for now), and Badger stocks Velvia and Provia in that size.

Tuan,

This is disturbing news. I have been contemplating jumping into 4x10 again and considered cutting 8x10 Velvia into 4x10 sheets a possibility (either pre or pos t exposure). Guess not.

One thing I do recommend is giving Kodak E100VS a try. I've used it a lot over the past 10 or 11 months, and I have actually grown to like it more than Velvia (this from someone who shot nothing but Velvia for over a decade). In addition to very vivid colors (with better separation in the oranges and reds than Velvia ), it is also over a full stop faster, has cleaner whites and much better recipr ocity characteristics than Velvia (with no green shift for long exposures). I'v e only shot it in 4x5 (mostly Readyloads), but it is also available in 8x10.

Kerry

I guess Michael Fatali's upcoming stint in the pokey significantly drops the demand for 8x10 RVP.

That IS crummy news, though I too am getting into Kodak 100VS outdoors--the first Kodak chrome film I've actually liked in years. The problem is, I gathered that future 100VS 8x10 is only going to be sold in 50-sheet boxes, and it seems to be less available and markedly more expensive than Velvia/Provia. Facts on these subjects are, however, elusive! Does anyone know the Kodak story?

Well, I don't know the Kodak story...only that almost all the sheet films in both b&w and color, are only available in 50 sheet boxes now...they redid their packaging recently, so alot of the smaller and larger box sizes are discontinued...I don't know what this means in the longrun (I don't want to even think about it really), but in the short term it meant that since we buy film on contracts, all the contracts had to be rewritten...it meant that we had to buy twice as film in 50 sheet boxes, than in 100 sheet boxes, for MORE money than before and throw away that much more packaging materials.....maybe they were trying to simplify their product line, I don't really know...but if it were up to me, i would have made all those boxes 100 sheets.....my opinions only, of course...

Dan,

Your dislike of Kodak and their products must be VERY deep seated. I'm sure you must have your reasons. However, you seem to be applying a double standard and in the process cutting off your nose to spite your face. We all make our own c hoices based on our own needs and preferences. That said, when Kodak discontinu es products we large format photographers know and love, you refer to them as th e "Yellow Peril". Now Fuji comes along and discontinues 8x10 Velvia and Astia. Not only do I see no references to the "Green Peril", but you state that you wi ll "jump through hoops" to get their products from alternate sources.

Do yourself a favor. If you are really looking for an 8x10 color transparency f ilm to replace Velvia, give E100VS a try. Now that I have, I actually prefer it to Velvia for a number of reasons. You might, too. Or, perhaps not. But if y ou refuse to give it a try, you'll never know.

Personally, I have no strong loyalty to either company. I use what works best f or my needs. For over a decade that was Velvia - mostly in Quickloads. I tried the old double sheet Readyloads back in the early 1990s, but had horrible probl ems with lightleaks. I also occasionally tried new Kodak transparency films whe n they were introduced (EPP, Lumiere, E100X), but didn't like any of them. Unti l about a year ago, I had pretty much written off Kodak when it came to color tr ansparency films. Then, I tried E100VS at about the same time Kodak announced t heir single sheet Readyload system. I'm glad I did. With E100VS in single shee t Readyload packets, Kodak has successfully addressed both of the reasons I was not using their products - a film I liked and a reliable packet/holder system.

Of course, the latter issue is unrelated to 8x10 (since nobody makes 8x10 color transparency film in packets), but the point is... I'm glad I gave Kodak another chance - not for their sake, but for mine. I like E100VS a lot - even better t han my long time favorite Velvia. Now that Velvia (and Astia) has been disconti nued in 8x10, Kodak is in the unique position of having the only saturated color transparency film in this size. With former 8x10 Velvia shooters having no oth er choice, perhaps the volume of 8x10 E100VS sales will be sufficient to keep it a viable product (we hope).

Kerry

Dan,

If you're bound and determined to avoid yellow boxes at all costs, you may be in luck.

I just got off the phone with Jeff at Badger Graphic and he told me 8x10 Velvia (and Astia, and several other 8x10 and large Fuji products) has not been DISCONT INUED, it is just no longer a standard catalog item. Through Fuji USA is it now a special order item (with some ridiculously huge minimum order quatity). Soun d familiar?

Jeff also said he thought it would still continue to be made for the Japanese ma rket and he could probably still get it (in more reasonable quantities) from his source in Japan. No idea on pricing at this time. Give him a call if you're i nterested.

Kerry

My .02 worth, I have been shooting Kodak E100vs in 8X10 for a few years. I also perfer this to fuji. I do a lot of architectural and the color shifts in fuji are unacceptable. What I have found is that the E100s is actually truer to the scene. Either way the Kodak is a god product and we should all be happy to have a quality tranny film available to us. Happy holidays to all. joe

Freestyle has had Astia and other 8x10" films outdated, but cold stored on sale for some time. Has anyone tested these?

David, thanks for the tip. Back in 1995, I got all their remaining stock of 5x7 Velvia and used it without ill effects.