Thread: Gitzo Systematic Ball Operation & RRS QR Question

Gitzo Systematic Ball Operation & RRS QR Question

I'm considering a new Gitzo Systematic CF tripod (GT3541LS) with integrated ball head (GH5380SQR, I may need to upgrade to the 5541 to attach that ball) for my 4x5 Technikardan, Nikon D3 and Hasselblad. I want an all-in-one solution and understand some compromises will have to be made. I want to keep the distance between the bottom of the camera and the top of the tripod to minimum to reduce flexing and vibration. My current head Cullmann 40200 is solid, stable and pans, the tripod is heavy and I'm want Carbon Fiber. The Gitzo CF Systematic looks like it does the job. Here are my questions.

1. Panning, do I have to loosen the ball and risk losing level in 2 axis to pan left or right? I see Gitzo has a separate pan attachment, but that adds another link in the chain I'm not willing to use.

2. Do the RRS QR Plates work directly with the Gitzo QR assembly?

3. I assume 4 leg is slightly less stable than 3, more portable, higher weight and more compact. Is there really a distinguishable difference?

I occasionally use a 400mm Tele/zoom lenses with the 4x5 and Nikon D3.

Re: Gitzo Systematic Ball Operation & RRS QR Question

I can't say much about the Gitzo carbon tripods as the only one I own (GT2540) is to small for my 4x5 for my comfort. I use a RRS B50 head on it though. For my 4x5 I use a Fiesol CT-3471 with either a Photoclam Muliflex head or my Acratech GV2 on it it (latter when I need the light wieght). Both of those heads work well with my RRS plates.

As to your plate question. RRS plates are an Arca Swiss style QR. Gitzo and Manafroto both use proprietary QR Plate systems. If you want to use the RRS plates (I do as they are very high quality) then you will need to get either a tripod head from a manufacturer that works with those plates (RRS, Arca, Photoclam, Kirk, Acratech are some). Or get an adapter for the tripod head you are chosing.

Anyway I hope this helps some.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Sometimes helps to read the questions?!

Quote Originally Posted by Aahx View Post
    I can't say much about the Gitzo carbon tripods as the only one I own (GT2540) is to small for my 4x5 for my comfort. I use a RRS B50 head on it though. For my 4x5 I use a Fiesol CT-3471 with either a Photoclam Muliflex head or my Acratech GV2 on it it (latter when I need the light wieght). Both of those heads work well with my RRS plates.

As to your plate question. RRS plates are an Arca Swiss style QR. Gitzo and Manafroto both use proprietary QR Plate systems. If you want to use the RRS plates (I do as they are very high quality) then you will need to get either a tripod head from a manufacturer that works with those plates (RRS, Arca, Photoclam, Kirk, Acratech are some). Or get an adapter for the tripod head you are chosing.

Anyway I hope this helps some.

You might also consider the RRS TVC-33 tripod. It has a load rating close to the Gitzo 55xx series and the weight of the 35xx series. The Gizo Systematic series had/has (not sure if they fixed it) problem with the top plate coming off. After- market plates are available to prevent this problem.

"I want to keep the distance between the bottom of the camera and the top of the tripod to minimum to reduce flexing and vibration."

With the RRS, possible config. would be to have a quick release clamp, a panning clamp or a BH-55 ballhead on the tripod. A combination to maximize movements and stability would be an RRS or Gitzo 55xx tripod combined with an Arca Cube.

Steve