Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need several large format images of granite and marble

Need several large format images of granite and marble

Not sure where to post this but I need several high resolution images of granite and marble. Here are some details.

Size 5 feet x 12 feet. 200dpi (or you tell me what's possible).

Must be to 1-1 scale (or very close) of the original granite/marble. We will be using these images to produce fake granite tops and therefore it must be to scale.

We prefer no repetition HOWEVER if you must replicate some portions to achieve the full size that's ok as long as it's not noticable.

One photographer said he could use a Sinar large format 4x5 camera, with a PhaseOne P25 mounted on a Flexadapter. This takes two 22MP (megapixel) images and stitches them together for a 42MP image which becomes a 125MB image when processed. Using good interpolation software he could easily increase the size with minimal distortion. However I'm still waiting for this to happen.

I would start with one image to test quality however I need dozens. I would prefer something very nuetral to start..no wild designs and nuetral brown colors. I can elaborate if necessary.

First time on here. If I'm missed anything please let me know. Thanks

Re: Need several large format images of granite and marble

Are you wanting to shoot images yourself or purchase images. Over the years I've done a great deal of work for stone companies and currently have a client in the business. Stone can be very difficult to shoot and keep correct color. Much of my stone photography has been done on 4x5 E6 and some 8x10 E6. Its time consuming and expensive work to precisely match color.

Sorry no I don't have that equipment or the knowledge to shoot. I would like to hire someone. Agree there are many challenges including eliminating the reflection on large piece of stone, moving the stones, etc.

I would like to hire someone if it's in our budget. I'm not sure if it's possible to do one as a test and reorder more later OR because of all the setup if we have to look at purchasing numerous images at once to get the cost/image down.

I'd like the colors to somewhat match if possible but if this could be quoted seperate so I could understand the costs that would be great. I would most likely adjust the colors on some images to increase my selection...so may be playing with the colors in the future anyway to make more images.

Hope this helps, any questions let me know. If there are any sites or better ways to hire someone (ie freelance sites?) let me know that too. Thanks very much and Happy New Year.

You should hire a professional photographer in your area to handle the work. That's what they do.

where are you located? What are you expecting to spend? When do you want to shoot?will you be providing the stone or will the photographer have to locate it? Many questions have to be answered before a job can happen.

Robert: Yes I would like to hire a professional, I guess that's why I posted here. As far as a local one, I'm having trouble finding someone that could do the work. In my opinion if they are a few hours away they might as well be in a different country as most of the dialogue will be via email and phone calls anyway.

Don. I'm located in Canada. The photographer would have to arrange to access the stone in their area. Bid would incude any fees to the stone owner for 'renting', moving, etc. This is another reason I'm opening up to other areas. Stone suppliers in my direct area view me as a competitor...however in other areas or countries I won't have that problem. I'm hoping anyone interested in this type of work can submit (PM) their costs and I'll let them know right away if I'm interested.

Is this the right forum to hire someone or are there 'freelance' type sites?

Thanks guys for your responses..I do appreciate it very much.

Yes it is the right forum, I would take the commission but I am in the UK, what is the budget.

I can produce a 1 to 1 scale 5x4 transparencies but you would have to do the stitching.
    Stephen

If I compute correctly I think you are asking for 28,800 pixels in the 12 ft. direction at the requested 200 dpi of the final image using the 5 inch direction with 4X5 film. This will look about like a real piece of granite using the unaided eye if it could be done.

But this needs to translate to about 6000 dpi on film which = 2500 dpcm. or 250 lines per mm, or 125 line pairs per mm. (lp/mm). This is somewhat beyond the resolution of the best 4X5 setup using top lenses and color film. I think you'd best contract for an 8X10 format putting you somewhere down to a 62 lp/mm, resolution limit on film. This should be doable but will require some critically even lighting and planarity of granite surface to film plane so shooting can be accomplished at a wide aperture. A lot of handling of heavy granite is required and if you need life size 10 ft wide granite slabs will be required. Of course stitching two 4X5s will get you there also. It seems to me that Fuji Velvia 50 with its high contrast and saturated colors might be best suited for stone surface reflections unless you have some intensely bright specular reflections imbedded within the granite that need to be subdued.

All this only gets you a transparency. Then you need to transfer the image to photosensitive print material. You can digitally scan the transparency at a resolution that will certainly preserve the detail (an Aztec will do easily, and maybe a couple of others) then laser print at a house that can handle such sizes. I think straight optical printing would be difficult to find. It's a significant job with a lot of intervention with a major granite supplier.

Two scans using a Betterlight digital back may just do the job also for direct digital capture.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Unless there are quarries locally, you will have to find a monumental mason (head stones) with suitable stock who is willing to move a ton or so of rock around on a forklift. And I assume you are talking about polished surfaces. Sawn surfaces are matt and very uninteresting unless you wet them down with water or glycerol.

When I used to work for a geology department we used to take really large specimens to the local monumental mason for cutting - large diamond saws are both expensive and noisy.

This sounds like a perfect job for a betterlight setup or large pixel count MFDB. However it's shot the capture will be the easy bit, the stone and handling will be the difficult part. Ideally shot in your own studio as reflections/hotspots even lighting will be the most time consuming. I would probably light it with lots of bounced light from large white areas like 8x4ft polystyrene, like I used to do stainless steel food processing machinery. Almost makes me want to give it a go ...... almost.

Kevin.