Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Re: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Thank you Mark. From your wonderful posting I ventured to take my 12 inch Velostigmat II apart and remove the tiny screw that restricts the number of rotations for the outer ring - allowing for more control of the level of soft focus. It was a little dicey taking out the retainer ring as it stuck a bit. I should have covered the lens with tape. I didn't scratch the lens but I did scratch the retaining ring with the spanner wrench. My lens is about 1928 in a Betax #5 shutter.
    Last edited by Robert Opheim; 16-Apr-2021 at 10:31.

Mark,
    Thank you for bumping this. I have a new appreciation for it, but had not fully read all the responses 'til now.

I have the Ilex Paragon version of the Series II, it's a 12-inch lens with adjustable diffusion.
    Removing the limiting screw on that lens is easier than described for the Wollensak lenses. On the Ilex, the screw is in the barrel, just below where the lens sits.
    So the whole front lens assembly is removed (unscrewed), the screw is taken out and that's it.

Mark, I now understand, took some years

I will work on the Mod when I get time

Thank you
    Tin Can

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Thank you, gentlemen!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    8.) Now instead of adjusting it only this far…
    DSC00042

9.) …you can adjust it this far!
    DSC00043

A word of warning: this also removes the limit of rotating the front element the other way past zero, and over-tightening can jam the front element, making it very difficult to unscrew at all.
    Hello Mark. I wonder how much in mm the front lens can be moved ? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Hello Mark. I wonder how much in mm the front lens can be moved ? Thank you.
    On my 12-inch in a Betax shutter, about 9mm, which gives quite a bit of softness. Other barrels and focal lengths may vary, but every one I've tried can give a pretty soft image when unscrewed near the maximum.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    On my 12-inch in a Betax shutter, about 9mm, which gives quite a bit of softness. Other barrels and focal lengths may vary, but every one I've tried can give a pretty soft image when unscrewed near the maximum.
    Thank you Mark. I was asking, `cause I gave up hunting for 14in velo. Instead I have moded the CZJ Tessar moving the front element. Modification is reversible but without making special ring I have to open the lens to change the position of front element. 9mm of allocation seems to be a sweet point for this lens - some more and highlights are so diffused that they cover darker areas lowering the contrast, but not perceived softness.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
    Thank you Mark. I was asking, `cause I gave up hunting for 14in velo. Instead I have moded the CZJ Tessar moving the front element. Modification is reversible but without making special ring I have to open the lens to change the position of front element. 9mm of allocation seems to be a sweet point for this lens - some more and highlights are so diffused that they cover darker areas lowering the contrast, but not perceived softness.
    If you find 9mm to be a bit too much softness for a particular image, you can tone it down with a smaller aperture, say, f/5.6 to f/8, just like with all soft lenses.

In the early 1970s I was a student at RIT in the BioMedical program of studies. In my last year of studies there, before leaving for Christmas break I acquired a OEM Burke & James 8x10 Commercial view. When back at home in Connecticut I stopped by a camera store in New Britain, CT. In the used section found a, in like new condition, 12" Velostigmat in a Betax #5 and some 8x10 film holders. No prices on the items. Asked the owner for the prices and he told me for "cash only" what could I afford to pay him for the lens and holders... Think I told him $60.00 and he told me SOLD. During the following summer I revisited the storefront and found out that the day after I had bought the 12" Velostigmat and holders he had closed the store and skipped town. Anyways when I returned to RIT in January, I learned the ZONE system under Nile Root and G. E. DeWolfe. Experimented a lot with that 12" Velostigmat. For pinhole photography many times after composing the shot, I removed the front elements, I inserted a round piece of fully exposed and developed Kodalith film with a pinhole in it in front of the iris, and put back the front elements. Also experimented with shooting double overlapping exposures with the lens. First 1/2 of the exposure at f/64, and the second half of the exposure wide open at f/4.5 with maximum diffusion (lens had been modified to extend the front element out as far as it could go). Had trouble with unregistered exposures, but was usually solved with duct tape securing the lensboard to the camera. Resulting images were unique, sharp images with a "halo" glow superimposed. Unfortunately those 8x10 negatives were lost/misplaced long ago along with an 8x10 dark slide that I custom fabricated with a 12 stop attenuator per George's instructions. Sold the 12" Velostigmat in the 1980s for whatever reason. Few years ago re-acquired a 12" Velostigmat but without the variable diffusion control. Still my favorite lens to use on my 8x10. By any chance does anyone out there know if the front elements with the variable diffusion can be substituted for the "straight" version of the front elements?