Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Re: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Really like this image!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I have this image elsewhere on the forum a couple years back - just found this thread. 9.5" V-II with the stop removed. Just an enjoyable lens all around. Shot on Graflex Series D 4X5. Based on some other comments, is it safe to assume that this lens was made late 20's to early 30's?

Tin Can

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I have this image elsewhere on the forum a couple years back - just found this thread. 9.5" V-II with the stop removed. Just an enjoyable lens all around. Shot on Graflex Series D 4X5. Based on some other comments, is it safe to assume that this lens was made late 20's to early 30's?
    A nice image indeed!

Dating the Velostigmats is tough, especially without seeing them. Shutter types and front engraving fonts are two hints. The Velostigmat Series II was introduced in 1909, and the earliest I've seen the diffusion feature is in 1911. It seems to have disappeared around 1940.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Wollensak launched the “Velostigmat” line in 1909 with the Series I and Series III lenses. The Series II f/4.5 was added in 1911, but the numbering clearly suggests it had been contemplated from the beginning.

The diffusing devices were present on the very first Series II lenses, and I’ve often wondered if that is how Wollensak skirted the Tessar patent. That, or the fact that the Bausch and Lomb families were significant stockholders in the Wollensak Optical Company (quite interesting in itself since Andrew Wollensak had left B&L’s shutter department in 1899 to become a direct competitor). In any case, the diffusion device is a wonderful feature whose potential is really unleashed by Mark in this splendid thread. The images speak for themselves.

As for determining the age of a Velostigmat, or any Wollensak lens with a serial number, my own research and conclusions can be found here: https://alphaxbetax.com/wollensak-serial-numbers/

My 9.5" Series II is in barrel, No. 196581 - according to Whir-Click's timeline, today could be it's 100th birthday.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

This could be interesting for those who would eventually like to modify other tessar lens for sf.
    In case of Industar 300mm which I`m just adjusting: moving the front-most element too far makes the lens shorter, with deeper DoF and actually more sharp. This can be an effect of shorter FL and the "glow" that is too wide (lowering overall contrast but showing the sharp core more clearly). In portrait mode , making the lens softer - it softens face more than hair, but beyond certain point the face details are more clearly seen but hair get more diffused. Those are GG observations so far, no examples yet. This would be and interesting lens to use.
    Last edited by Andrzej; 20-Jun-2021 at 10:22.