Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Re: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

There should be a lot of posts on Graf Variables here, and the internet at large.

On Velostigmats being more expensive, I don't see that. The last two 12" ones sold for less than $410 on ebay. Also, yes, they are in shutters often. Mostly Betax and occasionally other shutters. I have a 12" in a well timed Wollensak pneumatic shutter.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I had one of these but sold it recently, excellent lens, wide open did beautiful portraits, stopped down it was razor sharp
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Mark, new to this & hope it is on topic. I drug out the Graf Variable to get a idea of what it will take to allow more revolutions as in the Velo IIs. One question would be about "haze". Not sure if that exists, needs cleaning, if it is what can be done about it. Beautiful lens altogether. It is a 8.5-9.5. Anyone know about this guy?
    The Graf Variable design doesn't have any cemented surfaces, so any internal haze should wipe right off, as long as it's not some really aggressive fungus. Good luck with opening it up!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I bought an Ilex Paragon Anastigmat F4.5 Series A Focus 12 inches lens with variable SF adjusting knob 0-5. People believe that Paragon series A SF lens is similar to Wollensak Velostigmat Series II lens. I tested the images on GG after I refocused it at position 0 and 5, the softness was very subtle.

I found this wonderful thread after searching. I followed the original poster's (Thanks, Mark!) steps and pictures and removed the screw that blocks the adjustable knob to turn further after #5. After removing the screw, the Knob can be turned 4 circles (4x360 degrees) now. I cannot wait to test this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    I bought an Ilex Paragon Anastigmat F4.5 Series A Focus 12 inches lens with variable SF adjusting knob 0-5. People believe that Paragon series A SF lens is similar to Wollensak Velostigmat Series II lens. I tested the images on GG after I refocused it at position 0 and 5, the softness was very subtle.

I found this wonderful thread after searching. I followed the original poster's (Thanks, Mark!) steps and pictures and removed the screw that blocks the adjustable knob to turn further after #5. After removing the screw, the Knob can be turned 4 circles (4x360 degrees) now. I cannot wait to test this lens.
    A couple of ideas to share. The lens aperture is a partner in the overall effect. I found (for me) that somewhere between f/5.6 and /8 was the limit of the desirable softness. I usually left mine at /6.3 when in bright sunlight. The combination of sharp and soft-glow is delightful. I generally left the lens screwed out to a further position (than 5) and kept it there while shooting on any series... keeping the overall look as similar as possible.
    Also, the softness is a little hard to gauge off of most ground-glasses, they tend to spread the light a little more that is actually captured on the film. I generally softened a tad more than what I was seeking in order to get it on film... YMMV.

Have fun. I love my two, the 9.5" is my favorite lens.

BTW, it's sharp too.

Thanks for your tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    A couple of ideas to share. The lens aperture is a partner in the overall effect. I found (for me) that somewhere between f/5.6 and /8 was the limit of the desirable softness. I usually left mine at /6.3 when in bright sunlight. The combination of sharp and soft-glow is delightful. I generally left the lens screwed out to a further position (than 5) and kept it there while shooting on any series... keeping the overall look as similar as possible..

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Doug, it would be worthwhile to have the Studio Shutter repaired, (if all the parts are still there). They're pretty simple, and work well within their limitations. Add a Packard shutter (or similar) and a neutral density filter or two if you're planning to do any bright-light shooting. Older big, fast tessars won't be quite as sharp as more modern "general" lenses, but they're more than sharp enough for contacts and slight enlargements, and they have a lovely smoothness of tonality, sharp or soft.
    Any suggestions about where to send it for repair?

I still turn to my Velostigmats as much as any other lens, and that 9.5-inch is still a sentimental favorite! And Darryl's quite right about using both the aperture and the spacing to control the look. You could spend a decade or two mastering these lenses, but they'd give beautiful images every step of the journey...

Someday soon I need to change the old photobucket images to a decent host, probably flickr...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Am in the process of shooting and documenting an old dilapidated factory building in our town with my 12" Series II Velostigmat. Started the project using my 12" Fujinon W. Just for the heck of it shot one image with both lenses. The Velostigmat negative just had a better feel to it. Will see how Salt prints look from each in a week or so.

https://www.largeformatphotography.i...erfalls/page81
    post 806 shot with a 12" Velostigmat
    Last edited by Greg; 9-Sep-2020 at 11:01. Reason: added info

Bump, because I finally got around to replacing all the old Photobucket links that they smeared their giant logo all over. Now uploaded and hosted by Flickr. Wonder how long they'll last...

I still love my Velostigmats...