Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photo a Day Challenge

Re: The Photo a Day Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKarr View Post
    Are there any Web guys here that can supply a simple template for us to use to post these images & make it easy for others to use. I'm a shooter ... not a web guy ... I'm afraid. So ... HELP !!! smiles...
    There are hundreds, if not thousands, of photo a day web sites. Some people use Flickr, etc., others their own domain, in which case any of the photo display programmes will work fine. Have a look at Tumblr. I've been using it for the last few weeks for something unrelated to photography, but it is extremely photography friendly and equally user friendly. If you want, you can set it up to use the URL that you've registered instead of their URL. I set it up that way, which took only a few minutes, and my domain started to show the content uploaded to Tumblr much faster than they advertise (took about three hours). The downside to Tumblr is that you won't get an image that fills the screen, as on this site by a Toronto photographer, one of the more popular photo a day sites, now in its third year: www.photoaday.ca

Forgive me if my lack of interest in this means, as you put it, that I'm "thinking myself into failure".
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Hi R.E.

Thanks for the great info, I'll check it out. I'm a web'new*b.

The comment about failure was not meant to be judgmental, just an observation. 'kinda like dieting, drinking more water, watching less TV... I just heard "why nots" in my head that seemed a bit habitual & limiting, that's all. Besides failure has a bad way in the US, I see it as "just didn't do it."

I remember having 3 little ones in my care all potty training at the same time. They'd make all kinds of reasons why they didn't have to go. but I'd always say, "Just try honey..."

Anyway... thanks again,
    Steve

There are suggestions in this thread that taking a photo a day will make one a substantially better photographer. Instead of arguing in the air about whether that is true, one can make one's own judgment by wading through a bunch of the gazillion photo a day sites on the internet. Having looked at a lot of them over the years, I don't see any evidence that the statement is true, nor do I see the point of the exercise. Others may come to a different conclusion.
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Hmmm... thinking again ...

Do it for 60 days and see what's for real, thought & scholarly acrobatics are not real...
    only One's own Experiance is Real.

Like reading about pie on the internet, thinking about if the pie is good, seeing what others do with the pie... have some. At least then we can all have our own experience to draw from. Boy I love pie.

Outside of not being a big LF user, I guess you would have to look at it as taking an hour a day to practice something that your interested in. Just the practicing results in more experience and should definitely improve anything you do in whatever field, work or hobby related.
    I guess I could shoot a few months of still life's or portraits (over and over) till the weather gets good as the light is too low for landscapes in the winter and after work. Perhaps instead a weekly/monthly genre and a quota of x number of shots instead? I'd have more time for that, and that's way more then probably 50% of the people around here shoot.

Jim Ewins

Anecdotal evidence is just anecdotal. Producing a lot of anything will seldom, in and of itself, produce quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ewins View Post
    Anecdotal evidence is just anecdotal. Producing a lot of anything will seldom, in and of itself, produce quality.
    But the odds get better.

So some think if they buy the best guitar, read forums like this one, talk to other players on the subway, even think about it in the shower ... but only strum a few times a month they have a chance to win the high school talent show?

Nope. You'll always be a thinker, not a doer.

Just load some holders and go ...

SteveKarr, Do you have a wife and kids? You sound like someone who is single with no dependents. You sound like some photographers that I know.

Ha! Well Andrew ... you're right for now... But I was just hopin' to help some others see they may be just not "in the habit" of shooting very often. I Think that's the meaning of the thread & really why I'm even bothering typing this at all. So the next 5 times the TV's on, get up & shooting something instead. Even if it's a picture of the stupid TV! And if there's a commitment to a project, with goals.. then that's a "great habit" to have. Isn't it?

and yea ...I'm just out of a 2 year relationship with a girl & her 3 little ones... when I was dad I couldn't play as I do now ... that's partially why I left, family life was killing my art. I'm 43 not 22, ... but I never let the fam kill my inner artist. I miss the little nuggets, but it's nice on this side of the fence too.

Sorry if I Hi-Jacked the thread or offended anyone...

SteveKarrShoots.com