Page 62 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Re: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Your composition and sharpness here is more slightly more contemporary and "Ken Lee". I like this one a tiny bit better because it's simpler.

5x7" korona
    210/4.5 noname lens

I don't care much for the toning but the composition and image mood are really very nice.

I picked up a box of old Kodak VPS color 5x7 sheet film and got around to trying it out. Didn't really notice much color shift or fog but I get a colored vignette around the edges mostly. Only one place I could find selling color 5x7 and its like eight dollars a sheet before processing. I've been wanting to get a 6x17 back or camera and decided to try cutting a 5x7 darkslide in half and trying that out to see if I like the effect or how hard it is to work with that way. I'm using a 210mm lens so not much of a panorama effect really.

These were both from the same sheet of film so it does work and takes a little more paying attention because of the extra step of adding the cut slide before the shutter release.

Lee Smathers

Did 8 more images in the mountains again this past weekend, continuing with my Korean Mountain series. Only this image sings with my soul:

Joowang Mountain #05 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr
    Kodak 2-D 5x7 + Goerz Dagor 12"
    FP4+ souped in Rodinal 1:50, 12 min.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    ... this image sings with my soul:
    I like it too!

Quote Originally Posted by tomslaptop View Post
    I picked up a box of old Kodak VPS color 5x7 sheet film and got around to trying it out. Didn't really notice much color shift or fog but I get a colored vignette around the edges mostly. Only one place I could find selling color 5x7 and its like eight dollars a sheet before processing. I've been wanting to get a 6x17 back or camera and decided to try cutting a 5x7 darkslide in half and trying that out to see if I like the effect or how hard it is to work with that way. I'm using a 210mm lens so not much of a panorama effect really.

These were both from the same sheet of film so it does work and takes a little more paying attention because of the extra step of adding the cut slide before the shutter release.
    I really like the effect. This turned out really well.

Thanks, glad you liked them. I didn't think they were to good but the first time trying it out and I was a little excited about it. My old 5x7 camera has a packard shutter and it's a little tricky outside on a sunny day getting the correct exposure and I have a habit of keeping the shutter open for just a tad longer then needed. Everytime you use and work in the format you learn something new so hopefully my work will get better with time. Here's another one from the same outing I kind of like even though it's badly exposed. I'll keep trying and hopefully have a better report next time.

I like the idea of splitting 5x7, a poor mans pano. I need to try this with B&W, I am too cheap to even consider color.

I knew I bought that 6x17 negative carrier for some reason.

Keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by tomslaptop View Post
    Thanks, glad you liked them. I didn't think they were to good but the first time trying it out and I was a little excited about it. My old 5x7 camera has a packard shutter and it's a little tricky outside on a sunny day getting the correct exposure and I have a habit of keeping the shutter open for just a tad longer then needed. Everytime you use and work in the format you learn something new so hopefully my work will get better with time. Here's another one from the same outing I kind of like even though it's badly exposed. I'll keep trying and hopefully have a better report next time.

Tin Can

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img023-1sm.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	98167

5x7 Korona
    Efke 100PL, Rodinal 1+50