Page 4 of 132 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Re: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Very nice shot, particularly the framing of the glacier. Where was it taken?

Thanks for looking and any critiques.

Have you thought about increasing the "atmospheric" effect a little ? We've probably all seen it overdone at times.

You can see in Chuck's photo above, that even a touch of dark values in the foreground, makes the distance that much deeper. (His is an entirely different subject of course - but it's close at hand).

Salmon Glacier, taken in SE Alaska. Just north of the town of Hyder, AK. Salmon Glacier maybe just across the border into British Columbia though.

Richard

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the critique. I darkened the top of the sky abit along with the darkening of the foreground trees. I think views better. I enjoy your work and appriciate your ideas and comments.

Regards, Richard

Hi,
    In this last image (I promise) I darkened the L & R foreground hill-sides and the UL corner of the sky. The BG mountain was lightend a bit. Thanks again for the help.
    Regards, Richard

Very nice.

You might want to consider minor burning and dodging of small areas, to make things appear a little more graspable visually. It's hard to describe, but basically makes things look more 3-dimensional. For example, the clouds.

Ken, Thanks again for the tips I worked on the clouds and details some more.

Regards, Richard

You're most welcome !

I wish there were more critiques here: They're where the rubber meets the road.

Speaking of 5x7, QT Luong, the founder of this site, has some lovely photos and helpful info about 5x7, on this site - here and here.

QT Luong with Canham 5x7

Oh my, that's the camera I've always wanted, a Canham 5X7, it's enough to make a grown man cry. I love 5x7 and have a junker Seneca 5x7 that will probably never get restored, why bother, and a clean and nicely restored Kodak 2D 5x7, the bulldog of 5x7 cameras. But the Canham is the one I have always wanted to buy, own, and use.

Curt

After going back & forth between 4x5, 5x7, & 8x10, I've decided that 5x7 suites me best. I contact print & just love the size. Big gems.