Page 117 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1316

Thread: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Re: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Thank you! These were shot near Del Rio.

Things have changed quite a bit in the last 10 years though. I still have several friends there and periodically visit a very good friend that still handles serpents (rattle snakes and copperheads) in church and seen people get bitten. Been there and seen that many times. There are some truly nice people in that area that would do anything for you if you were in need. Some of the finest people I’ve ever known. Very hard working folks.

And yes there are some pretty rough people. Plenty of poverty, mentally ill, drugs, theft and moonshining. I connected with a group of cock fighters and was allowed in to photograph provided I didn’t show faces. Also connected with 4 moonshiners and was allowed to photograph the entire process. I have some other things though that you wouldn’t believe. I was allowed to photograph a KKK cross burning and a private meeting between the Klan and neo nazis. Along with the kind and wonderful people there are some seriously bad folks there that wouldn’t hesitate to terminate you and toss your body in the river. It still happens.

Incase you’re wondering, I don’t participate in any of these activities. I’ve donated a huge number of prints to a special collection of my work at the East Tenn Historical Society. They produced a touring show of nearly 100 prints along with artifacts and audio tracks to accompany the prints that toured museums for seven years. When I depart this earth my entire archive of north of 100,000 negatives that I’ve made dating back to 1953 of the region and people will go to the History center and be available for educational purposes. What better use of photography than to preserve the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Plenty of poverty, mentally ill, drugs, theft and moonshining.
    And that's just law enforcement...

At any rate, it's hilarious that I come across you on the Web when you're about 20 miles away from South Knoxville--I'm even rolling with a 5x7 Norma (though the next 5x7 negative I expose will be my first.) I will definitely check into the ETHS if they still have some of your prints accessible--and maybe you can talk UTK into giving your library the "Dutch Roth" treatment if they've not already...both my wife and I have been surprised that "Appalachia Studies" doesn't seem to much of a thing here, despite the nascent Cormac McCarthy industry.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    And that's just law enforcement...

At any rate, it's hilarious that I come across you on the Web when you're about 20 miles away from South Knoxville--I'm even rolling with a 5x7 Norma (though the next 5x7 negative I expose will be my first.) I will definitely check into the ETHS if they still have some of your prints accessible--and maybe you can talk UTK into giving your library the "Dutch Roth" treatment if they've not already...both my wife and I have been surprised that "Appalachia Studies" doesn't seem to much of a thing here, despite the nascent Cormac McCarthy industry.
    Don’t know Cormac but was good friends with his brother Dennis and wife Judy. Cormac bought a lot of land in NM and Dennis and Judy moved into a house in Cormac's compound. He’s back in K town ever once in a while and we get together at mutual friends.

Ill send a PM with my email and would love to meet up. The history center has several hundred prints but don’t know if you can access them right now. I do however have a bunch of mounted prints I’d be happy to share over a glass of wine or cold drink.
    Last edited by Don Dudenbostel; 2-Aug-2019 at 15:16.

Great scene here. And really nice of the old timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    The gas station was shot in 1969 probably on my 5x7 Sinar Norma with a 210 convertible Symmar. Would have to look up the negs to see what film. The second image of the old gentleman was with my 5x7 Deardorff and 240 G Claron I think. The film was most likely HP5 in HC110B.

These are two of my three last 5x7 images. It's too much to lug around. Gravity is taking its toll. But I got a coupla decent shots of the old abandoned house down the street. Tachihara 5x7, 210 Geronar, TriX 320, HC110 dil B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldHouse1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	194222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OldHouse2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	194223

But I still have my 4x5!

The only thing harder than trying to square-up a photo of an old building is trying to work on an old building! Looks like you'll be able to pull some good images out of that house!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I like both of those.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

(So sue me... )
    "Fergie in the Rape"
    Not 5"x7", but Imperial's closest predecessor - half plate (4¾"x6½") Thornton Pickard Imperial Triple Exension (Ca 1908) with original 8" f/8 RR lens, Ilford MG IV paper negative (trimmed down from 5"x7").

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fergie-in-the-Rape.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	194268

Massachusetts, March 2013
    5x7 Kodak 2D

Amazing, Ken.