Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Workshops...?

Re: Workshops...?

I have attended both the Barlow/Ritter Fine Focus Workshops and Michael Smith's Vision & Technique workshop in Buck's County, PA. They are very different.

Michael Smith's is very much an observation workshop with very little time for actual making of photographs.

The Fine Focus Workshops are primarily field workshops. Bruce and Richard will teach, answer questions, look at your ground glass, review LF issues, etc., but with an emphasis on making photographs. I've attended at least 5 Fine Focus Workshops, including one where it rained nearly the entire weekend and always have fun while learning new stuff and making new friends. Bruce and Richard sort of tailor the workshop to the needs of the participants. If you've never used a LF camera, they will teach you how to "focus on the far and tilt for the near," etc.

Both the Fine Focus and Michael Smith's workshops are very worthwhile and highly recommended. If you attend either, be sure to bring a selection of prints for the print reviews.

Really lots of great info here guys! I'm compiling the list now which will include current links to info about the various workshops. If you've got any more to add, please do so--maybe we can turn the results into a sticky or update LFP's site with a list of these.

Thanks!

Jan C.

Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    The Gladding McBean workshop is superb.

Roger

http://www.viewpointgallery.org/cont...ing_mcbean.php
    I would differ with you Roger. Gladding McBean is not a true workshop is its purest sense. Its more of a tour of the facilities allowing you access to photograph.

I've spoken to Gene Kennedy and there is no structure to this outing. No curriculm. No specific topics covered. For $160 for one day, or $250 for two days, you're simply paying for access to the Gladding McBean facilities. This is Gene's own admission. Not mine.

In my view, calling this a "workshop" is misleading and unfair to a potential workshop participant expecting to learn something of a specific nature; whether it be lighting, printing, composition, etc. I think Gene and the Viewpoint Galley need to own-up and tell it like it is, or either make it a "true" workshop.