Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Workshops...?

Re: Workshops...?

I attended a workshop with Jack Dykinga last year in Yosemite. It was a 3 or 4 day format and a good opportunity to watch a top photographer at work. He is quite down to earth, unassuming, and easy to talk to. Good portfolio critiques. I am often reminded of things he said when I'm out working.

Hell do a workshop with me, one-on-one, $2500 a weekend. You might not remember everything but you'll come home with some awesome pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Hell do a workshop with me, one-on-one, $2500 a weekend. You might not remember everything but you'll come home with some awesome pictures.
    if you promise i will not remember anything, i am in! where shall we hold it? vegas? bkk? mexico?

My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

It's your dime Eddie ;-) Could be some hick town off the Thruway or the Caymans, it's all good.

Beats mucking with toxic chemicals to make pictures of rocks and trees!

What about combo with field and darkroom. I think Fred Picker used to run his that way.

I can use some printing skill improvement.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Heck, Frank, I've got a better idea: I'll teach you everything thing I know about web development, you teach me everything you know about photography. Together we'll work on memory skills, and we'll both walk away bloated & satisfied

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    What about combo with field and darkroom. I think Fred Picker used to run his that way.

I can use some printing skill improvement.

Mike
    Most of the "darkroom" workshops I attended actually worked that way. Mostly darkroom with a little field photography thrown in or photograph in the early morning and late p.m., darkroom/lecture the rest of the time. You just have to investigate the course content thoroughly, including asking the instructor questions beforehand about exactly what's covered to be sure the workshop is for you. But I can't offhand think of a darkroom workshop that didn't include at least some field work. Photoshop workshops, OTOH, have tended to be exclusively that.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have attended my share of field- and darkroom workshops, the most recent one about 10 years ago. One of the things I enjoyed was the interaction, chatting, echange of ideas with oter participants. I wonder if that option still exists, or if participants are now restricted to dialogue with their laptop, to download, edit, etc etc related to the day's shooting? This would be my concern if the workshop advertises : all formats accepted, analog and/or digital.

I'm going to look for an LF analog only.

Mike

I attended Kim Weston's workshop this... was it September? I think so. Anyway, it was really a nice workshop. Kim is a true artist and Gina makes it a lovely stay. Well worth the travel.

I also attended one out in NM with Alan Ross. Great workshop. Really learned some new tricks.

I always get a kick out of what I think I will learn and what I end up walking away with.

Good education has a cost of time and money and is rarely a wasted investment.

I teach darkroom locally (Salt Lake City) as well as in Park City, Utah and I love learning from the students as they always help me see things in a new way. I think the workshops always give me a fresh view on the work. I have been getting a lot of younger students who are interested in LF. I think it's great but keep wondering where they come up with the money. I can think of many workshops I would have like to have done way back but rarely had money for film much less a workshop.