Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Workshops...?

Workshops...?

Well it looks like 2010 is going to be the Year of the Workshop for me (I'm now empty-nested and have got to find something to do with all the extra time and money I'm going to have (yeah, right)) and I'm thinking about doing a number of them. Some of the folks I'm interested in taking workshops with follow, and I'd like to hear from folks who took workshops with those listed and others about their experiences. Anyway, here's the list:

• Bruce Barlow/Richard Ritter (couldn't leave them out, looking at attending the upcoming Snow and Ice Workshop)
    • Jack Dykinga - Springtime in Death Valley
    • Jack Shaw - Springtime in the Sierras
    • Kim Weston - As of yet undecided, but if I do take one his, I'd like to stay you know where

That's my short list for now, at least for the first half the year.

Perhaps some of the folks here know of others I might want to have a look at?

Thanks,

Jan C.

Re: Workshops...?

My best workshop experience ever (60+ years in photography) was the long weekend with Michael and Paula at their house in Bucks County.
    25 years ago I did a week-long B&W printing workshop with George Tice at the Maine Photographic Workshop, which was excellent.
    I also spent a week in New Hampshire with Bruce, Richard, and Ted Harris a couple of years ago. Great guys -- very professional!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I was a workshop junkie for about ten years from the mid-1990s to the early part of this decade. Here's a very brief synopsis of some of the ones I attended. If you want more information send me a private email. Of course I don't know exactly what subjects interest you so some of these may be inappropriate and some may no longer be offered in the same location by the same sponsoring organization but for any workshop, the most important thing is the instructor, not the sponsor.

John Sexton - four from him, one week at Palm Beach Photographic Workshops, two weeks at Anderson Ranch, one week at his home in Carmel. These were all darkroom workshops. Another week based in Bluff, Utah on a joint workshop with John and Ray McSavaney, photographing the Southwest. I don't think John still does the same rotation of darkroom workshops he used to but he's simply the best IMHO. If the topics of anything he's teaching interest you he'd be first on my list of recommendations.

Bruce Barnbaum - One week at his Georgia workshop. Very good.

Michael Smith and Paula Chamblee - Same one Bill mentioned. I wasn't quite as enthusiastic as Bill but liked it a lot and would certainly recommend it. Fairly narrow topics covered so make sure that what they cover in the workshop is something you want to know.

Craig Stephens - Maine Photographic Workshops - Outstanding. Not a big name - he teaches at the Savannah College of Art and Design - but a great workshop, second only to John Sexton IMHO.

David Wells - A second week at Maine following Craig Stephens - Very good teacher, another name that's not as big as others but he was an excellent instructor.

Steve Simmons - One week at Santa Fe workshops. Wouldn't do it again.

Ruth Bernhard - Palm Beach Photographic Workshops - Outstanding but I doubt that she's still doing workshops, if she's alive she has to be 100 by now. Unfortunately the instructors at some of the other outstanding workshops I attended, such as Phil Davis and Ted Harris, have passed away as Ruth may have too.

More Photoshop workshops than I can remember but it doesn't sound like that's what you're interested in so I won't try except to mention that if you have any interest in printing black and white digitally, the one-week workshop I took from George deWolfe was outstanding. But be careful, once you see what can be done printing b&w digitally in the hands of a master you may not want to see the inside of a darkroom again.

Hope this helps.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

lazy retired bum

I'll add my opinion. I have enjoyed a fair number of field workshops. The ones I have attended include lots of time with instructors, easy, open, informal relationships, a "no secrets" attitude, eg any question asked, is answered. And all have included serious, careful print critiques. When I started doing these, essentially everyone was using a large format camera, film and printing in the traditional darkroom. Now, depending on the workshop (and instructor, of course) many students are using digital equipment to both shoot and even more are using digital printing even for scanned film.

Barnbaum-Dusard-Dykinga: I really enjoyed all these guys, Bruce is always interesting, and always has something helpful to say, even if you're a republican. Jay is a treasure. He still helps me out via emails and his advice is spot on. Jack has a fantastic eye and is a superb teacher.

John Sexton: One of the great field instructors, precision is his mantra and Anne has some of the best compositional advice I've ever received (see Dusard for this as well).

Ray MacSavaney: A legend in his own time. He thinks before he speaks and what he says is always profound. Not for the compulsive, he's quite easy going but he offers gems for those willing to wait for them.

Stu Levy-Don Kirby: A great team who do a yearly workshop on the Oregon Coast. I've done it three or four times and each time it's wonderful. Both are great teachers and superb photographers.

Martha Casanave: She is an artist who happens to have chosen photography as her medium. She would be superb in any art form. Her sense for portraiture and the figure is terrific.

John Wimberly: A quiet, profound man who has a spiritual approach. Initially I thought this would turn me off, but he is so charming and engaging and such a great teacher, I thoroughly enjoyed my time with him.

Good luck.

Eric

I forgot about Don Kirby's one-week Anasazi ruins workshop based in Bluff, Utah, which I shouldn't have. Don was a very good instructor as was his wife who works with him on this workshop and probably others. I'd recommend him highly if the subject matter of any of his workshops interests you. I thoroughly enjoyed the Anasazi ruins workshop even though I was already familiar with some of the sites. His workshops are all field-photography based but he also offers some private darkroom lessons which you can find out about on his web site.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Ruth Bernhard - Palm Beach Photographic Workshops - Outstanding but I doubt that she's still doing workshops, if she's alive she has to be 100 by now. Unfortunately the instructors at some of the other outstanding workshops I attended, such as Phil Davis and Ted Harris, have passed away as Ruth may have too.
    Ruth Bernhard (October 14, 1905 – December 18, 2006)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Bernhard

There are a couple of FREE workshops that I've signed up for but was unable to attend due to acute medical problems at the last minute (one of the costs of getting ancient).
    In Michigan by Bill Schwab: http://photostock2009.com/intro.html
    and in various places in "The West" by Per Volquartz: http://www.pervolquartz.com/workshops.html
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I offer coaching for small groups, at my home in Western Massachusetts.

Wow, folks, I really appreciate the great info here! I've already started researching availability for 2010 and will try to put together a current list based on my findings and your initial input.

Thanks!

Jan C.

Carbon workshop in Yosemite by Vaughn Hutchins 4/19 - 4/23. I took this last year and am going again this year ... it's that good. Link to AA Gallery

Even if you've never done carbon printing before, you'll come out with some fantastic prints, a great appreciation for the process, and the ability to do carbon on your own (it's much easier than it sounds) ... and, the prints are amazing.

You get to photograph in Yosemite and it's hard to beat the environs where you can literally take iconic pictures within a 100 yards of your room ... and you get to develop and print them in St. Ansel's own darkroom. And, you can have a 5-star dinner at the Ahwanee Hotel or a 1-star picnic in a 5-star meadow ... whichever you prefer.

It really is the best of all possible workshops ... a true expert helping you produce your best work in a beautiful place.