Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: experience and performance of some lenses

Beverly Hills, California

experience and performance of some lenses

My 5th grade students know that their teacher loves LF photography. And for better or worse, I think we as LF'ers have alot in common (personality wise).

So, after reading a number of replies to bogus posts such as this one, I thought of a new way to conceptualize algebra for them with this formula:

Large Format Photographer = "Nice Guy" = Sucker

You have the same lenses on which I've standardized, and I think you have some very nice optics. Why have the both the 120 SA and the 121 SA, when the former is multi-coated. (Is the former MC?) The Symmar-S lenses are excellent. As for the tele's, they will never be as good as the Symmar-S lenses, but they have their reasons to exist. I'd probably sell the 240mm convertible and get a G-Claron.

As to whether or not to get new lenses, it depends. I'm an enthusiast, so I like the Symmar-S lenses because of their excellent quality, and also because of their reasonable cost. I spoke to a Schneider LF technician (Robert) and was told that, under most conditions, it's difficult to see a difference in photographs between the single versus the multi-coated versions of the Symmar-S. The MC on these lenses does more to filter UF and IR than to reduce flare. Note that the Caltar S-II lenses are Symmar-S lenses in disguise, and are especially reasonable in price.

If I were a professional, I'd probably upgrade to new optics. There is a perceptible difference between the Symmar-S lenses and the Apo-Symmars. But, think of the expense!

I think some of you guys are so experienced that you really can't understand some of the questions that people like me ask when we are in our 1 or second year of serious LF effort, as a hobby.

I don't know for sure, but if I had asked that question, I would have been asking: " I am in a suitation where I have all these lenses, and have the ability to move closer or furthar back for the shot I want. Which lens should I use?"

To my mind, the 75mm is the best and sharpest lens he has. Especially at the wider F stops.(the market seems to agree with that.) Also according to an answer I got from Zeiss, it doesn't suffer much from not having a "T" coating. I also find that it really doesn't need a center filter. With the short focal lenght he will get the most depth of field. However, he probably doesn't have a lot of 100mm dia filters. Also the 75 doesn't have the coverage that the Super Angulon has so for some scenes where he uses a lot of movement, he may need to use that.

Neal

okay,

it's not very nice to talk trash on someone when they're not around....

ya queers, and with love,

trib

p.s. ya call that a troll? I mean the eejit ain't eeben got any warts!

Just a note to the under-experienced and ethnocentric among us, Bulent Ozgoren is a normal, run-of-the-mill Turkish name, and NOT a joke of any sort. I suppose I would have found it strange before I moved to Europe, where the society is significantly more polyglot than in the good old isolated US of A. Those who follow foreign affairs will note that the Turkish Prime Minister (or President, I'm not sure now) has Bulent for a first name. Let's try and be helpful to the non-native English speakers on this forum, and try to give them the benefit of the huge amount of information on LF that is available here and possibly not in their location.

Bulent, There are a number of sites with lens comparisons and listings which will give you specifications and opinions about the various lenses you have (which are quite a few!). Try looking at the lists on the Large Format Home Page first. Kerry Thalmans page also has a lot of information as well as the home pages of the various manufacturers. Schneider's site is particularly rich in info compared to others and you can date your lenses by serial number. Searches on large-format lenses and brand names should find you loads of info. Hope this helps, ;^D)

Doremus - My response was a tongue-in-cheek slap at those who are so Eurocentrically-blinded that unless your name is Dan Smith you're suspect (no offense to Dan Smith). Wait until someone named Osama or Mohammed posts, then you'll really see the twits fall all over themselves.

Gentlemen Thank you all for sharing your opinions with me. I have simply asked If someone knew anything about these lenses that would be helpfull. I was nat able to obtain any data about them on the net. Hi Wayne, you are right on spot.Kind regards to you all and send me a mail if you ever plan to travel to Istanbul Bulent ozgoren bozgoren@veezy.com 27 January 2002

Hello Bulent;

Now that the others have stopped posting here are a few more links:

The Biogon is mentioned in the following sites:

http://www.archiphoto.com/personal%20pages/LFlenses.html

http://www.lensrepro.com/USED/used-lgf.htm

The Arton and others are mentioned in these:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_len ses/tele-arton/

http://www.graflex.org/lenses/lens-spec.html

You'll have to forgive some of the others - we've had "trolls" drop by from time to time (a Triblett Lunger-Turd III or some such blather pops to mind) and your command of the English language just threw them. Are any of your images online at this time? Happy shooting.

Hello Wayne Thank you for your contribution and consideration. I will visit the sites you've mentioned in your post. I hope you always get the lights of your dreams. Bulent Ozgoren

Bulent,

I hope you received my e-mail about the history and statisics of the 75mm Biogon. Your lens set up is fine indeed! I don't think it is UNUSUAL to have that many lenses, especially if photography is also a hobby and you happen to be a collector. None of these lenses are "dated" even without multicoating. Unless you are shooting into the sun, your results should be fine. Please ignore the rudeness of the first responder....as a wise friend once told me: "Jealousy is such a sin in a grown man"

J. P. Mose