Thread: The River They Saw

The River They Saw

I happened to turn on our local public television station this evening ( http://www.opb.org/ ) and saw an image of Multnomah Falls on the t.v. screen as the narrator described it as
    taken by Carlton Watkins in 1867, perhaps the first photograph ever taken of the falls.
    Well that got my attention and I stayed glued to the tv screen for the next hour.
    I don't know if it will be rebroadcast but if not, or if you don't live in Oregon you can watch in on line at http://www.opb.org/programs/oregonex...River-They-Saw
    From the web site
    The beauty and magic of the Columbia River Gorge has attracted photographers for more than 150 years. The River They Saw chronicles the history of the Gorge with rarely seen images crafted by Carleton Watkins, Sarah Ladd, Benjamin Gifford, Al Monner and many others. These early photographers left a stunning visual legacy through images still considered among the greatest landscape photos ever made.
    Some fascinating information on the photographers, their work and a historical perspective of the natural wonder called the Columbia River Gorge. If you've never seen it, it's a must do if you are ever in the Pacific Northwest. During the program while they explained the glass plate process Watkins used they had an individual with a LF camera set up in the Gorge go through the process of coating the glass plate, take an image and then process it. Fun to see on tv! Who says all television programing is garbage. You can also see short profiles of the photographers and some of their images on the web site, get other info. and even buy a dvd copy from opb of the program. Thought some of you would be interested.

Mitchell's Point
    Carleton Watkins, 1883
    Photo courtesy of Oregon Historical Society

Re: The River They Saw

Thanks for sharing.

Andrew

Claudio Santambrogio

Thanks for sharing, that was very interesting.

Saul - I caught it on my DVR and I'm looking forward to watching it!

I saw it last night. The young lady who talked a lot and showed some of Watkins' photographs - forget her name - was a guest speaker at our local photography club about a year ago. She presented some of the same things shown on the program plus a lot of things not shown and information about Watkins not given. But the program had things she didn't have too, such as the wet plate demonstration that I thought was very interesting.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Most welcome all. Kirk, good to hear from you, it's been awhile. If you haven't watched yet I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Be sure to check out the web site for a little additional info.

Brian, that sounds like it was a good presentation to see. Wish I would have been there. She didn't bring any prints did she? Maybe I'll have to check out your club meeting one of these days. Photography has unfortunately taken a back seat the last year due to health issues and now a 4 month old son. But I keep trying to squeeze it in. Best to you all.

Claudio Santambrogio

I couldn't find details on how Watkins printed (besides a generic knowledge that they were albumen prints). Would anybody have details, or a pointer to some documentation?