Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern 7X17"'s?

Modern 7X17"'s?

After looking around for a 7X17" Korona and learning how heavy they are I wonder if in the landscape of modern camera makers there is a 7X17" camera with modern amenites??? I would put light weight on the top of the list. Who is making a 7X17" camera today?

Thanks,

Michael Hintlian

Modern 7X17"'s?

http://wisner.com/Page12.html

buy one for me while you are there, I'll pay you back when I get the money.

Modern 7X17"'s?

The Koronas are the lightest cameras there are. Consider them featherweight. You have to accept the weight if you want to expose large-format negatives.

Michael A. Smith

Modern 7X17"'s?

In his web site "Bio," Kerik Kouklis writes, "In the Summer of '99 I replaced my trusty 80-year-old Korona with a new 7x17."

You might write to him.

www.kerik.com

Modern 7X17"'s?

"The Koronas are the lightest cameras there are. Consider them featherweight."

I don't know how light the Koronas are, but Canham makes a 10 lb. 7x17 camera. I can't believe the Korona 7x17 weighs much under 10 lbs.

www.thefstop.com > Canham

Lotus makes a 7x17 that weighs 13.7 lbs; www.lotusviewcamera.at

'Course, these suckers aren't cheap.

By the way, don't miss Kerik Kouklis's galleries of 7x17 images while you're at his website (www.kerik.com)

Modern 7X17"'s?

You can modernize the Korona's a fair bit and add to their stability amd movements. I have an 8X20 Korona and put a Sinar P system under the rear and front sections.

Modern 7X17"'s?

As an aside, I don't know if Kerik had much choice in replacing his trusty Korona; his was stolen from his car a couple years back. I don't think (and doubt) it was ever recovered. I wonder if he would have replaced it otherwise. As others have said, I think you're limited to Lotus and Wisner, and given Ron Wisner's commitment (or lack thereof) to customer service, I'd recommend Lotus. Considering the probable $4000 difference in cost, I would also have to agree with others and suggest a look at a Korona.

Modern 7X17"'s?

The Korona does weigh under ten pounds, but even well restored it's a flimsy cam era. That doesn't stop it from being useful, you just have to deal with it. The Canham will give much more stability, but of cour se at a high price. Wisner has a 717 based on his 5x7 chassis so it's small and light (for a Wisner) and could be another possibil ity, but expect a long wait for any Wisner that isn't on a dealer's shelf.---Carl

Modern 7X17"'s?

I haven't used a Korona 7x17, but I have used a Korona 8x20. Weight is not the issue that I would stress with the camera. More important is how sturdy it is. I found the Korona to be a little light on that.

I have been using the wisner 8x20 for about six years now, and love the way it stays where you focus it. Working with the big camera great care needs to be taken while focusing and inserting holders.

Speaking of holders, they are heavy. Check them out, I think you'll find that any weight savings (in the camera) will be taken up by the weight of the holders.

George Losse

Modern 7X17"'s?

There may be another coice out there soon. Dick Phillips, who, as many of you know, makes some very innovative and rigid lightweight cameras, was thinking about building a 7x17 version of his banquet camera.

I told him to put me the first on the list for one if he builds it...

If you are intrested in a 7x17, I think you might find his design to be the most rigid design available, and a huge improvement over the old Koronas. The camera should be about the same weight as a Canham.

Anyone who is thinking about this format should contact him, so he can judge the interest in a production run of 7x17 cameras.

The best part is the price; it should come in at about the price of his 8x16, which was $3100 last year, I think.

I believe he had intended to make it to accommodate a 600mm lens as the longest. The Canham can accommodate a 750 or even longer, but most banquet shooters don't use a lens that long commonly.

Call him if you are interested.

---Michael