Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jogging Stroller Mods

Jogging Stroller Mods

I decided to order a jogging stroller to use at times with my LF equipment, 4x5 - 8x10 gear.

I ordered a standard Instep Ultra Runner Jogging Stroller with a fixed front wheel. It is no donkey cart so I need to figure out the best way to fit my gear including my tripod.

Anybody have tricks or modifications that they have found useful for rigging the stroller for camera gear?

Re: Jogging Stroller Mods

I use a Tyke Trek and to keep from making a destructive changes I add an "L" shaped plywood platform that uses the foot rest as a load transfer point. I dropped the seat to the laying position so it is a flat load space. The piece of plywood fits on the "laying area" and I attached a small wood piece at 90 degrees to rest on the foot rest. To keep it in place I drilled a couple of holes and attached it to the frame work with bungie cords. You do have to think about keeping the center of gravity forward so it won't tip backward, which is why I wanted the plywood platform out over the foot rest. Keep the safety wrist strap handy as these can get rolling pretty fast on a down hill slope, I think you will be surprised how easy they are to push loaded. You will also need to think about how to attach your tripod - I strap mine to the side as the end can rest its points in holes on the foot rest.

I would attach some photos, but it is packed away for the winter. I was trying to keep it as close to factory condition as possible in case I wanted to sell it. The only thing I regret is getting a single seat model - there are times I would like to take more along and a twin seat model seems like the next step.

Do a search for "jogging" and see what turns up. John Powers has posted his jogging stroller modifications either here or on Apug.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Do a search for "jogging" and see what turns up. John Powers has posted his jogging stroller modifications either here or on Apug.
    Thanks, I checked out what thread I could find. I think I will have to figure out some clever way of carrying things. I would like to have a quick but secure way of attaching the tripod. Will probably use small diameter rope. I wonder about using an open piece of PVC sewer pipe attached to the stroller. Of course, then I have to deal with the issue of air travel with the stroller so I don't want to engineer a jalopy that is not travel-worthy.

I walked across the U.S. from Wisconsin to the Grand Canyon pushing a double baby jogger. It worked great. With a 100 lb. capacity, I was able to place my pack with camera, gear and film between two water jugs to help keep the film from overheating. The tripod went across the handle in the back. Just aft of the canopy where you can see a crook in the handle, my Manfrotto 3221 fit across there just perfectly and didn't need to be lashed down. There was still room enough in the cart for tent, sleeping bag, food, maps, etc.

Good luck with the new ride. I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about my rig or its use. I posted this in 2008. Here is a current link to the jogger I use.
    http://babyjogger.com/perf_jogger_lp.aspx the Performance single by BabyJogger

It has 20 inch wheels and 100 pound shocks. The larger wheels help you over uneven terrain, offer less rolling resistance and the shocks make the ride smoother on your gear. I bought mine second hand on eBay three (now five) years ago. That vintage only had a front brake. There is not much weight on the front, so the parking brake doesn’t do much for you. The current model has a parking brake that locks the rear wheels. Lacking that I usually just wedge it up against a tree, rock, fence.

Today I carried seven 7x17 film holders in a bag on the bottom rails; a 12x12x 10” cooler bag full of lenses, meter, loupe in the seat, and a 7x17 RH Phillips mounted on a big Ries. The tripod spikes go through two holes cut in the foot rest. The tripod leans on the cooler bag and is bungied to the shocks and axle. When I stop, the camera, tripod and tripod head are all connected for instant set up.

I have used this jogger for 4x5, 8x10 and 7x17. The only modification was drilling two holes for the tripod spikes in the foot rest. I also carry 60 feet of ¼” line and a water bottle. I added a bicycle handlebar compass to tell what time to return if the light is not what I need now. A hand held compass would be as good, if not better. The rig allows me to go out two miles from the car on trails. I can usually find a parking space closer then that.

John

John,

Thanks for the details. I got the idea of using a baby jogger from reading your posts in the past. First I bought a really cheap stroller designed for attaching two car seats - sort of like a shopping cart without a basket - on which I could lash a Pelican case and my tripod. That worked very well but only on smooth surfaces.

Then I bought a used Burley bicycle trailer which is very nice and can hold a massive amount of gear. But, it does not fold up quickly or compactly so transporting it is cumbersome.

Finally I am doing what I should have done in the first place. I am eager to try it out.

Catshaver,

Wow! What a trip. You should definitely write an article about your photo experiences on the trip and post here. A book might be good too. That is some ultra ultralight travelling I might add.

Jerold,

The book came out in 2008.

Good luck with that cart. Mine is sort of unwieldy when folding it up, but it will fit into the backseat of a car with the canopy removed, handle folded and wheels removed.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Here is a record of my baby jogger explorations (including what to do with the tripod):

When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Here is a record of my baby jogger explorations (including what to do with the tripod):

Richard,

That is a nice rig. I have a stoller like that (a Burley) that is large and great for holding everything. Rather than use the plywood like you did, I use a Pelican case which is large enough to bridge the distance required and onviates the need. They hold a tone and ride very smoothly.

My new one is a conventional single passenger model where the space will be much more limiting.

Thanks for the pics.