Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emil Wünsche AG Reicka Extra Rapid Aplanat No.2 f/5,5

renes

Emil Wünsche AG Reicka Extra Rapid Aplanat No.2 f/5,5

Hello,

This is an Aplanat lens I got offer to buy but could not find much information about it. Hope someone could help with identification. The shutter is signed Emil Wünsche AG Reicka and the lens is Extra Rapid Aplanat No.2 f/5,5 - f/51. I know Emil Wünsche was a one of German camera producers (later was a part of ICA) and used to buy lenses from Steinheil, Voiglander and Zeiss. That's all I found.

I would like to know:

1. What focal lenght it could be?
    2. Does it cover 4x5, 5x7?
    3. Was it a prime Emil' Wünsche lens or just ordinary?
    4. Is it any chance to recognize which company produced the cells?
    5. What is it worth?

Thanks.

Re: Emil Wünsche AG Reicka Extra Rapid Aplanat No.2 f/5,5

The shutter brand is 'compound'. The camera makers name was engraved onto it.

I don't know anything about this specific maker.

It is hard to judge the scale with no reference, I'd guess it was a 135mm or 150mm lens.

135mm would probably not cover 4x5, 150mm probably would.

You can measure the focal length by opening the shutter on B or T setting, and measuring the distance between the diafragm and the surface it projects a sharp image at infinity onto.

Also, the No.2 is an indication of the focal length (or format to be used on). Somebody else on the forum might be able to tell from this number...

renes

Thank you Wimpler.
    I have not yet the lens, just consider if to buy it.
    Hope someone knows the answers.

So probably a rapid rectilinear as well- thus the rapid? Some people like RRs- but they don't really swirl or anything.

It really is extra rapid. Most extra rapid Aplanats/Rectilinears would be in the f/6 range. That is probably quite a rare lens. The value is what a willing buyer would be willing to pay a reasonable seller. I don't think there's any other way to value it. What is the seller asking for it? It's a beautiful thing and would probably make very sharp images.

Reicka is the name given to a range of cameras made by Wünsche. Most famously, a large SL reflex with FPS. Popular, as the name was continued after mergers (see figure). German size 2 should cover at least 4x5" without difficulty. It could be for 10x15cm or 13x18cm if the efl approaches 200mm. There are 1,000's of these lens around that have lost their camera bodies. Unfortunately, these splendid compound shutters are often difficult to fit to more exciting lenses. Probably not a very well known lens maker (like Steinheil or Meyer) - as the name would have been good selling point for even a well thought of company like Wünsche.

renes

Thanks.

Hope the lens is about 180-200mm, I have already Heliar 150mm and 165mm, do not need another in that focals.

The owner asks $70.

Were Aplanats a soft lenses? Are they good for b&w portraits or landscape?

Get a confirmation that the compound shutter works evertime (also at lower speeds).

renes

Today I received the lens. It looks much bether than above pictures show. I measured the focal lenght and it's 220mm! It fits to my Bergheil's 6x9 front plate too!!! Shutter works properly, blades are like new, also cells, it looks like it was not used much (hope not becouse of the poor image quality). Need to make a mounting ring and bayonet flange to use it with my two Bergheils (second one is 9x12). Than I will test the lens.

So it will cover 13x18 - so you have to buy a new Bergheim (or a 10x15cm)! Do you make the patent bayonet flange for the Bergheils or do you have a stock of them. I have only seen the system in rather bad photos.