Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ever had one of those days

Ever had one of those days

Just wondering if any one else has a day that nothing worked--at least not up to your expectations

All this money we've spent on our gear, lenses, film backs, camera, boards, lights, meters, film, props---( I want to curse here )

In four years I've only framed 1 picture--

I see people post there first large format picture---( I'm thinking son bitch thats a great shot)

Sorry for venting, was looking forward to posting something spectacular with my new Verito---Not

Tired and weary signing off
    Last edited by johnschlicher; 6-Dec-2009 at 17:18. Reason: spelling

Re: Ever had one of those days

I am sure many of us do. For me, I try to get out and take pictures again as soon as I can, to remember that I am doing this because I like to take pictures.

My true condolences John. But it sounds not like one bad day but maybe four years of bad days! Best to take a break, perhaps some alcohol (not too much) and then re-evaluate where you're going with all that equipment. Perhaps focus narrowly and proceed systematically.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Octogenarian

John,

I've had many of "those kind" of days during my past sixty-three years as a photo hobbyist.

However, If I had spent four years and a considerable sum of money and only had one picture worth hanging on my wall, I would have given up photography and looked for a more satisfying hobby.

Perhaps you need to attend a photo workshop?

Don't give up. The difficulties are part of the fun. If you wanted it easy, you would be using a digital point and shot camera!

Thanks Ed--I am a perfectionist

My family and friends have several of my prints hanging on there walls--Once I get a scanner I would like some constructive criticism--you can't hurt my feelings I'm a construction worker.

I love photography because it is a beautiful way to express ( in detail, and not so much detail ) how you see things

I'm looking for tone, value, contrast, image perspective, and over all Man thats a great shot--

Just didn't happen today

Maybe you just need more frames. Seriously, who's productive every day they go out shooting? There are two possibilities here. One is, you're being too hard on yourself and you probably have more good photos than you think. The second possibility is that your photographs are falling very short of where you think they should be.

My personal mantra is Albert Einstein's oft-quoted definition of insanity--Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I have to repeat it to myself, because it's easy to forget. Change something.

Yeah, I have had many a day like the one you are describing......................usually I call them Monday. They never go right for me regardless of what I am doing.

Blumine

How many images have you exposed in LF in the past 4 years? When talking with Bruce Barnbaum he mentioned if he gets a half dozen good images a year he is happy. Given all the images he creates in one year that must be a small percentage.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Preston Birdwell

When you look at the work of others and say something like, "Man, that's a great shot!", ask yourself why it hits you the way it does and in what ways it inspires you.

Next, grab a camera and put that inspiration to work!

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."