Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Re: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Quote Originally Posted by shadowleaves View Post
    But I was still surprised to see that the Nikkor is so much better than the Super-Angulon in the corner....
    Well, Schneider produced it until the 1990's and added the MC coating at some point, but originally the f/8 SA was designed in the 1950's, whereas the Nikkor came out in the early 1980's. Thats thirty years difference, plus the SA has 6 lens elements and the Nikkor has 8. I would expect a much closer outcome whith the Nikkor vs. the present Schneider successor, the SA Classic f/6.8, which is a comparatively new 8-element construction.
    Still it was an interesting comparison, thanks for sharing!

Re: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Why put up such enormous images? There's no way any of us could see the whole picture, and you just jammed up my computer for 5 minutes waiting for the download to complete. A blowup of the lower left hand corner was sufficient to demonstrate your comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hughes View Post
    Why put up such enormous images? There's no way any of us could see the whole picture, and you just jammed up my computer for 5 minutes waiting for the download to complete. A blowup of the lower left hand corner was sufficient to demonstrate your comparison.
    sorry, but it's too late to change them to links or delete the post...i put "large pics be aware" in the title when i posted them though...i thought the full pics are usually for people who wants to see the entire images rather than blown-up corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    Well, Schneider produced it until the 1990's and added the MC coating at some point, but originally the f/8 SA was designed in the 1950's, whereas the Nikkor came out in the early 1980's. Thats thirty years difference, plus the SA has 6 lens elements and the Nikkor has 8. I would expect a much closer outcome whith the Nikkor vs. the present Schneider successor, the SA Classic f/6.8, which is a comparatively new 8-element construction.
    Still it was an interesting comparison, thanks for sharing!
    You're welcome! I agree that this is probably due to the difference between 6-element and 8-element. SA Classic is quite heavy and expensive as a f/6.8 lens though. I'm not sure how many people would choose it instead of Nikkor 90/4.5 or Rodenstock 90/4.5 or SA 90/5.6 (non-XL version)...

As others have stated it would be nice to see three examples of each from different manufacturing batches.

EDIT: Oops... you already mentioned the Schneider is the best of three you've owned. It still would be nice to compare with a couple more Nikkor f/8's.

EDIT #2: I may have to sell my 90 f/8 SA and buy a 90 Nikkor f/8... but then my 135 Apo Symmar would't match the kit so I'd have to sell that too and buy a Nikkor 135-W. Then every lens from 90-300 would be Nikkors.

Dave Karp

Which brings up the interesting question: Is there any idea which of the big 4 had (have) the best quality control? In other words, is there any manufacturer whose LF lenses demonstrate less sample to sample variation?

to add fuel to the fire a bit, this is a test I did with Fujinon 105 f/8SW, Nikon 90mm f/8SW and Super Angulon 90mm f/8 while back. I can't remember the exposure but I think I either shot it at F/22 or f/32 on 810 film. This is 100% of the near edge of the film. If anyone want to see the original scans, or the center crop comparison I can upload those too.

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    to add fuel to the fire a bit, this is a test I did with Fujinon 105 f/8SW, Nikon 90mm f/8SW and Super Angulon 90mm f/8 while back. I can't remember the exposure but I think I either shot it at F/22 or f/32 on 810 film. This is 100% of the near edge of the film. If anyone want to see the original scans, or the center crop comparison I can upload those too.
    I can't see enough difference between any of those to make a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I can't see enough difference between any of those to make a choice.
    If you think that is hard, try to differentiate from the center crops...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by fuegocito View Post
    If you think that is hard, try to differentiate from the center crops...
    If anything I'd say the upper two are a bit better but only due to differences in contrast, not sharpness... probably due to lighting change. And I could say the same for the Nikon image in the first comparison you posted.