Thread: Devere 5108 shipping

Devere 5108 shipping

Does anyone know for sure if a Devere 5108 vertical enlarger can fit into a Chevy Suburban? I know the column can be removed from the base but the base itself is apparently quite large. The cargo area of my Suburban is 47" wide, 35" high and 80" long. With the column removed, the 80" length of the cargo area is plenty. But I have a feeling the base (even with drop table removed) is still too large to fit.

Re: Devere 5108 shipping

If nobody here has one, perhaps Odyssey can give you exact measurements:

http://www.odyssey-sales.com/product...e.asp?range=73

I fit this in my camper converted GMC Safari van. Drop the seats down and yer laughing. Just make sure you secure the neg stage to the lower part of the top column section. The spring is super tight and will clock you if it pops loose.

I think I ended up with the feet, lower section, top column, baseboard/ table and the lamphouse unit. Probably forgot something but basically it'll fit.

If you need more info, email me.

Things is a beauty.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

It will fit into a Suburban easily - I moved mine in a GMC Jimmy a couple of years ago - didn't have to even break the column into two halves to do it.... The base is surprizingly compact on these enlargers... Obviously, you should be buying mine though (it's for sale in Atlanta for pick up if you're close!!).

Don,

Thanks for the advic--just what I was looking for, someone who has done it. How much did you have to strip it down to get it in the Jimmy and did you need anything other than ordinary tools? I gather that taking the upper column off the base is straightforward. The baseboard would be removed, of course. And the long handles for raising the head and for focus? Do these come off easily? I contacted KHB Photographix (they sell and service DeVere) and they strongly recommended against removing the feet (base?--not sure of the terminology here) from the lower assembly because of some cords that are present and would be very difficult to put back into place.
    Thanks so much for your advice.

Fred,

Thanks for your help. I know about the strong springs. I let a 4x5 Devere head get away from me once and realized if I had been standing over it I could have been finished! It would be more forceful for the 8x10, I'm sure. Did the base unit stand upright in your van? I know I can't have it standing upright in a Suburban but I'm hoping I can take some stuff off of the lower section (base) and lay it down on its back or side and get it in the Suburban. Don says he got one in his GMC Jimmy which has less room than the Suburban so I'm thinking it will work. I have to drive a whole day to get to it so I don't want to get there and find out I have to come back empty!

Cool Re: Devere 5108 shipping

.....hmm ! I rented a small U-Haul for my 5108 transport.....we had an Excursion at the time so it mighta fit but by the time my spouse made a dang vacation out of the trip.....invited my in-laws (double damn).....well...I was lucky to even have space for the enlarger after they piled that U-Haul with luggage that they didn't need.........
    Last edited by JosephBurke; 5-Dec-2009 at 20:15. Reason: correction

Hey Rhondal,

Just took a quick look , sorry didn't get the tape measure out, but once the drop table and control rods are removed, there's not much depth if you were to lay the enlarge down on it's column. You'd need about almost 7' length wise in your Suburban so it should be fine if the back is flat when you drop the seats down. I'd still transport with the head off and the neg/ head stage secured , unless you want to let it ride the top of the column at the stop.

Even if you had to take her apart, it shouldn't be more than an hour if you have it all planned out.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...