Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Commercial photography stressful?

Re: Commercial photography stressful?

Quote Originally Posted by Armin Seeholzer View Post
    Today its not anymore stressfull, but in analog film time it could really be.
    Today you just look on the monitor of the cam and you see what you get. But in the film times there was sometimes really stressfull moments. Many times I had to drive the films direct in the pro lab and to pic up 3 hours later because the costumer wanted them at the same day in the evening so he could start with the layout of the pages etc.

Cheers Armin
    I regularly shoot without clients, because I have had the clients so long they trust me. I still shoot instant films to "proof" shots, and I have my own in-house lab to be able to deliver quality transparencies on a predictable basis. I also shoot digital, but much prefer large format transparencies for studio product work.

I am not or have never been a commercial photographer. But I worked as an advertising art director for 40 years, and hired many commercial photographers. As a commercial photographer, you are expected to deliver an excellent photo--no excuses. Re-do's are on you, unless there is a weather issue or something does not show up from the client. I personally was considered as a reasonable, realistic person to work with, but I would not have wanted to work for me. So, yes, being a commercial photographer can be stressful. And depending on the job and the client, quite stressful.

Studio veteran here... Getting me into the pro studio again would be like holding a kat over a bathtub... ;(

Now, most clients are professional and great, but too many stories of (pro pun) "amateur clients" (opposed to professional clients), that have little idea what they want, tell 'ya anything is fine, and you are trying to finish up when they start getting "ideas" they want you to incorporate... Many are just unreasonable and some may mean starting from scratch and not being paid for that time... And won't understand denying their request to just "move the camera to the other side of the room and shoot there", when the room was lit for the first shot and would require being paid for another set-up... ;(

These daze, even worse as today clients expect to watch everything done on a monitor, where they can pick and choose what they like/dislike, but during film daze, they got pull-a-roids and a leap of faith the fotog knew what they were doing and doing their best...

Better to be proceeding with creative works now...

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 28-Apr-2022 at 02:58.