Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: decided to experiment with filters

decided to experiment with filters

i was at my grandmas for thanksgiving and decided to take a few pictres. i just got a 25a red filter, and combined that with a circular polarizer, push processed 1 stop and this is what i got. tell me what you think.

Re: decided to experiment with filters

That's a beauty, Ryan!!

I often don't like the dramatic contrast and loss of shadow detail resulting from using a deep red filter and I think polarizers are often overdone. But you pulled it off with this one.

LJ Segil

Very successful experiment, nice drama with all that filtration. Maybe it's a combination of the heavy red filtration with whatever other light may have been removed by the polarizer (did you set it for maximum polarizing effect or use it more as a neutral density filter?) gives the shot an almost infrared look. Perhaps the combination had a light transmission curve that approaches that of an IR filter. Sweet.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    gives the shot an almost infrared look.
    My first thought on viewing it also. Nice!

Larry, I had the same initial supposition regarding the IR look. But this look is simply due to the dramatic dark sky combined with the absence of live vegetation... the dead grasses are quite light in tone. Had the grass been green and the trees full of green leaves the affect would have been different.

Nice composition and content. I like the photograph. Personally, it is a little to contrasty for my taste. My computer calibration isn't great but it also appears there is uneven burning in the sky around the hanging branch on the upper right side of the frame. I may be wrong, but I think you go back in there and fix that or just let it fall naturally in its tonality. My two cents.

"im 20 years old and wanting to learn"

Great attitude !

"tell me what you think."

Are you looking for aesthetic critique ? (As an experiment with in technique, you proved how it works).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    That's a beauty, Ryan!!

I often don't like the dramatic contrast and loss of shadow detail resulting from using a deep red filter and I think polarizers are often overdone. But you pulled it off with this one.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Very successful experiment, nice drama with all that filtration. Maybe it's a combination of the heavy red filtration with whatever other light may have been removed by the polarizer (did you set it for maximum polarizing effect or use it more as a neutral density filter?) gives the shot an almost infrared look. Perhaps the combination had a light transmission curve that approaches that of an IR filter. Sweet.
    Larry
    yes i set it to maximum polarization, i wish it didnt have a filter factor because it was a 1/4 second exposure and i had to wait between wind to take the shot, that was what i thought when i first saw it, but no one else that i have shown the picture to thinks that its infrared

Quote Originally Posted by Bradford Armstrong View Post
    Nice composition and content. I like the photograph. Personally, it is a little to contrasty for my taste. My computer calibration isn't great but it also appears there is uneven burning in the sky around the hanging branch on the upper right side of the frame. I may be wrong, but I think you go back in there and fix that or just let it fall naturally in its tonality. My two cents.
    i will go back later and see how it comes out, unfortunately i have work school and friends to deal with

thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    "im 20 years old and wanting to learn"

Great attitude !

"tell me what you think."

Are you looking for aesthetic critique ? (As an experiment with in technique, you proved how it works).
    well technically im 21 now, im too lazy to go back and change it

and i am looking for anything to improve my picture taking skills, whether its critiquing the aesthetics, composition, processing, or what ever else might come up

Lovely! What film did you use?