Thread: Triptych tips?

Triptych tips?

Hi guys,

I am currently working on triptych style images. I found on the latest one though that the images don't quite match in tone. I for one would find it quite useful if you guys could share any tips you may have on creating triptychs.

I currently look at each scene and treat is as one image. This is because the highlights may be in one image and the shadow detail may be on another. I also make sure I develop each one for the same amount of time.

So how did the second image in this series come out so flat? Is it possible I put the film in back to front? (the only thing I can think of)

Another take on the same scene...

Claudio Santambrogio

Re: Triptych tips?

You can check the orientation of the notches on the film - if they all are in the same place, then the film was inserted correctly (since you wouldn't have flipped the camera upside-down without noticing…). Maybe a shutter failure?

(BTW, four is counted as polyptych, not triptych )

Film reversal would appear unlikely due to the antihalation layer's significant effect. Perhaps some change in illumination due to the clouds? If the film was not all processed at the same time/batch then perhaps a small temperature variation?

Mike,

I vote for shutter failure as well. I always dry-fire my shutters before the exposure to get an "ear" for the speed I'm set at and then listen carefully while making the real exposure. It's amazing how often shutters, especially older ones, can just skip the clockwork mechanism. Usually this is caused because the shutter does not cock completely due to dirt, etc., but sometimes it just happens. If it happens often, a CLA is in order.

While the second image in your polyptich (thanks csant...) seems underexposed, I don't see why you can't simply use printing controls to make it match a lot better... A bit less print exposure and a bit more contrast and I wouldn't be able to tell any difference.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Quote Originally Posted by csant View Post
    You can check the orientation of the notches on the film - if they all are in the same place, then the film was inserted correctly (since you wouldn't have flipped the camera upside-down without noticing…). Maybe a shutter failure?

(BTW, four is counted as polyptych, not triptych )
    Thanks csant. I always check the notches on the film and I'm usually pretty careful with film. I just wondered if one had slipped past me.

Thats also a good tip from Doremus Scudder with regards to dry firing the lens. I do dry fire, but its only to make sure everything is working and that I havnt left the shutter open. I have to admit I have never paid attention to the shutter speed noise when dry firing.

Winter is closing in so maybe the cold is playing havoc with the lens? Im going to be shotting again tomorrow. Il use the tips mentioned in this thread. Thanks again guys.