Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Gitzo make enough #*@!?* options?

Do Gitzo make enough #*@!?* options?

I had a look at the Gitzo catalogue; those guys make about 100 different tripods! And the model numbers are apparently created by a random number generator .. how the hell do you choose??

I need a sturdy carbon 3 section unit to hold an 8x10 Deardorff with various glass. Prefer with center column and a min size that packs down into a regular suitcase. Thoughts?
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

Re: Do Gitzo make enough #*@!?* options?

Quote Originally Posted by Uri A View Post
    I had a look at the Gitzo catalogue; those guys make about 100 different tripods! And the model numbers are apparently created by a random number generator .. how the hell do you choose??

I need a sturdy carbon 3 section unit to hold an 8x10 Deardorff with various glass. Prefer with center column and a min size that packs down into a regular suitcase. Thoughts?
    For current model for example 3541XLS
    3 stands for 3 series
    5 stands for carbon?
    4 stands for 4 section
    1 stands for a newer model than the last one 0
    XL extra long? L long? or nothing here means regular?
    S systematic
    I would have a systematic tripod with extra center column.
    depends on your height, you can choose from 3531S, 3541S, 3541LS, 3541XLS, 3531LS

Just find a local store maybe grab a Gitzo brochure. Very nice printed, and make you want to buy all of them in the brochure.

Uri,

The best choices weight and price notwithstanding are the current GT5541LS (23.6" closed and 6.5 lbs) or the last generation 1548 ( 23.1" closed and 6.4 lbs). The newer model has the super nice leg locks. I'm currently using the last-generation carbon fiber 1548 with a center column and a 1570M head it's great, but I wouldn't mind upgrading the sticks to the GT5541LS if a nice clean used set comes along.

The next set down are the GT3541LS at 21.7" closed or the GT3540XLS at 27.6" closed. I use a GT3540XLS for 4x5 and light 8x10 with a now-discontiunued 1370M head, which has a larger camera platform than most competing heads which is useful for 8x10. Either of these will be somewhat top-heavy with a Deardorff, which is O.K. on level ground, smaller shutters, and shorter lenses. The last CF generation of these tripods is the 4-section 1348 and its 3-section sibling whose number I don't remember. The 1348 falls in between the current specs (4.6 pounds and 24" closed).

Cheers, Steve

The upgrade from 1325 to 3530s is great, but from 3530s to 3531s is not much IMO. So go for 35**s or 55**s

Yes, I agree -- it is confusing. I just waded through all this and picked out a tripod for myself a few days ago.

Here is a suggestion based on your criteria above:

http://gitzo.com/cms/site/gitzo/trip...er?code=GT3531

It's not going to be the absolute smallest packer. The 3541 increases the number of leg sections to 4--concerns about vibration and 4-section legs are not a problem with this tripod, IMHO. You might also consider the 'Long' version (for more height without extending the center column) 3541L.

Hope that helps,
    -Brad

that's funny cause I find that their tool called "gitzo tripod configurator" on their website
    makes the choice of a tripod cristal clear.

Did you try it ?

FEISOL CT-3371 tripod with optional centre column?

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Thanks for your advice everyone! I now kind of understand the model numbers (still too many products methinks). I still don't understand the letter codes at the end.... L for long?? longer than what? Systematic???
    Songyun: Thanks for explaining the numbers! Unfortunately there is no B&H/Samys in Australia where I can go & play hence the need to shop online.
    Clement: I may be too dumb for this, but I did try the configurator, but I put in the parameters and nothing appears in the gray box!
    Steve: thank you for your suggestions - I dont think 4 leg sections are a good idea for me...
    Bradley: I think your bowl of porridge is just right
    Please email me - my inbox is always full.. (press ALT and click on my name, then select "Send email to Uri A"). Thanks!

3541L is longer than 3541, and 3541XL is longer than 3541L
    Systematic means modular system? you can change from w/o center column to w/ center column