Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Famous images taken with large-format

hacker extraordinaire

Famous images taken with large-format

I would like to start a picture thread with visible, iconic images that have been taken with large-format cameras. Images like the Oswald assassination, etc. Extra points if they were taken with Graflex cameras, which of course many will be. But I think that there are many famous images and I think that a lot of people, myself included, don't know that they were taken using a large-format camera. Also, many of the images that I find have been altered. For example, when I image-search the famous Iwo Jima flag-raising picture, I find at least 3 different versions with crops and alterations. I would like the thread to serve as something of a repository for good-resolution, true-to-original images of large-format photographs that are truly iconic and pop-culture-famous. I wanted to start the thread off with an image of the Iwo Jima photo, but I don't know where to find a good version, or which version is closest to original.

Re: Famous images taken with large-format

I believe that the famous Oswald assassination image was shot with a 35mm Nikon.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The Libarary of Congress has many of Ansel Adams photos from his National Park commisions online.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Jackie Robinson stealing home against Yogi Berra

Mary Ellen Mark photo essays

Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhrig images.

Weegee news photos.

Bruno of Hollywood head shots.

Almost any news shot pre 1950.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I believe that the famous Oswald assassination image was shot with a 35mm Nikon.
    Reportedly a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. Still pretty common for press photography in 1963.

hacker extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Jackie Robinson stealing home against Yogi Berra

Mary Ellen Mark photo essays

Babe Ruth and Lou Gerhrig images.

Weegee news photos.

Bruno of Hollywood head shots.

Almost any news shot pre 1950.
    Pictures please! Good ones! It will save thousands of words. The very point of this thread is to deposit somewhat definitive digital images of these famous photos. I know there are many famous photos that I don't even know the title of, i only recognize the image. For example, Ansel's "Moonlight" would be recognized by many people but they would not realize that it was made with a large format camera.

Reportedly a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. Still pretty common for press photography in 1963.
    The JFK museum in dallas has the alleged Speed Graphic, along with some flashbulbs and Tri-X. There is also a display of many of the cameras used to take pictures of the JFK assassination, including some nice 8mm cameras and at least one Leica. All donated, as far as I know.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

How about any well-known image by Ansel Adams, Alfred Steiglitz, Edward Weston, Paul Strand, Dorthea Lange, Minor White, Imogene Cunningham, Weegee, Paul Caponigro, Edward Steichen, Clarence White, Eugene Atget, Walker Evans, Margaret Bourke-White, Josef Sudek, Frederick Sommer, Wynn Bullock...

i think one could argue that large format was the dominant medium in the serious art-photography world in the twentieth century. If you go back to the 19th, pretty much everything but the early box-camera photos were large format.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    How about any well-known image by Ansel Adams, Alfred Steiglitz, Edward Weston, Paul Strand, Dorthea Lange, Minor White, Imogene Cunningham, Weegee, Paul Caponigro, Edward Steichen, Clarence White, Eugene Atget, Walker Evans, Margaret Bourke-White, Josef Sudek, Frederick Sommer, Wynn Bullock...

i think one could argue that large format was the dominant medium in the serious art-photography world in the twentieth century. If you go back to the 19th, pretty much everything but the early box-camera photos were large format.
    They also used the Rolleiflex. As well as other cameras that were not large format.

One of the academic researchers at the Imperial War Museum in London told me that photographic evaluation is easier for WWI than for WWII because "It was prior to the miniature camera and we can put the plates under the microscope to see individual faces". Apparently there was a government or army scheme to get amateur photographers to donate their cameras for war use and 1/4 plate was the required size, so much very historic material in the archive is on 1/4 plt glass slides and negs.

The pix of Princip, the assasin who shot Archduke Ferdinand and started WWI being arrested were in LF...The Hindenberg zeplin burning is in LF.......Queen Victoria is in LF...The Duke of Wellington's only photograph is in LF.......Building the houses of Parliament is in LF,.....the analytical movement photographs of Muyerbridge (?) were all made with long lines of LF cameras tripped by string.....The forensic portraits of Jack the Ripper's victims were in LF........the Titanic is in LF ....news shots of Dr Crippen are in LF.....Many of the famous aerial photos taken over WWII targets could be considered to be LF such as the effects of the Dambuster Raid, Dresden, and Berlin raids.

Until quite recently, "Large Format" always meant full plate or larger. 4x5, 5x7, quarter plate, half plate, etc, were not considered "Large Format." The 2.25x3.25 Speed Graphic was introduced just before WW2 as the Miniature Graphic.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)