Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 120mm with a bit of character?

120mm with a bit of character?

Hi,

After a brief flirtation with the idea of 8x10 I have for various reasons, mainly various practicalities, decided to return to 4x5 for my upcoming projects.

I'm going to be shooting in the main with a 120mm or thereabouts lens.

I've used a 110mm xl in the past, as well as various 90mm and sironar 135's and they all had their strengths, such as sharpness to the edges and good image circle etc, etc

Well this time I'd like to try something with a bit of character.
    Still around that focal length (100 to 120mm) but with it's own less sterile look.
    It want it to give me some moderate movement on 4x5 but nothing huge, that is for another lens, if it goes a touch softer at the edges than a modern lens at wider apertures, that is not the end of the world either.

I'll be shooting on portra colour neg, so looking for that 'painterly feel' as opposed to super sharpness. I know of course that will come in the main with the light etc but I think a lens can help add a certain something also.

Possibilities I can see are the angulon 120mm 6.8, kodak wide field ektar 100mm, wollensak 108mm...any others to be on the look out for?
    Does the schneider 121 have a look or does it lean towards modern sharpness?
    Any dagor or variations of at that focal length?

Thanks,

Marc

Re: 120mm with a bit of character?

Try a 120 6.8 Berlin Dagor. It is sharp and contrasty, but with smoother bokeh than modern lens and more veiling - which equal an opening up of shadows.

I'll second the Dagor; I have a 5" Series III Double Anastigmat in Volute I like.

Occasionally you'll see short petzvals show up that might work for you.

Cheers, Steve

A 121/8 SA is a 'modern' lens. It doesn't have the ultra-contrast of lenses from the 1990s onwards but is certainly very sharp. A 100/6.3 WF Ektar has excellent sharpness and color rendition, again not as much as a new multicoated optic. It doesn't have much coverage on 4x5, though; perhaps that will be an advantage for what you plan to shoot.

How about a Rapid Rectilinear? They have a different look than modern lenses, but not too wild like Petzvals. The corners soften up a bit and the contrast is lower than a modern lens. Best of all, a 5" RR in a working (maybe a little funky, but working) shutter costs pocket change.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    How about a Rapid Rectilinear? They have a different look than modern lenses, but not too wild like Petzvals. The corners soften up a bit and the contrast is lower than a modern lens. Best of all, a 5" RR in a working (maybe a little funky, but working) shutter costs pocket change.
    I am pretty sure a 5" RR would not cover 4x5. However, a wide-angle RR would. Those are a terrific design (not to be confused with wide angle anastigmats) the only drawback is that they are usually f16. You can usually find one with some kind of diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    Does the schneider 121 have a look or does it lean towards modern sharpness?
    The Schneider 121 is the conventional modern Super Angulon f/8 design, and it is sharp and contrasty right to the edges. It does seem to have a smooth transition from focused to unfocused, though in my use of this lens that has to be evaluated at very large magnification because I have always attempted to make everything sharp with this one. It's not very fast, so if you want selective focus, it may not be the best choice, unless you are working close.

Rick "who finds the out-of-focus rendering to be pretty smooth" Denney

A pre-War Tessar? You may not find one short enough that will cover 4x5. I'm no expert, but it seems that 135mm-150mm is about the minimum in a Tessar for even minimum 4x5 coverage. That said, to my eyes, they produce most beautiful images.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

All round, i's hard to beat a Dagor. My 12cm Berlin Series III is coated which makes it even better.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

These 120mm dagor berlins are looking very popular...I'm assuming they come with a hefty price tag?

Marc