Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Web site or Free Sites

Your Web site or Free Sites

Most of you more than likely have your own web site, designed as you see fit, and pay the fee/'s.

However, do any of you use as well or use only such free sites as Facebook, My Space or LinkedIn? What are your comments re: such? I understand Linkedin may be more targeted to the photo community.

A dialogue on this would be appreciated. Thank you

Raymond

Re: Your Web site or Free Sites

I read Saulius's comment, as I did not see it prior to my posting, which was helpful.

Raymond

My website is www.quietlightphoto.

However, my work is also available on:

•Absolute Arts
    www.absolutearts.com

•ArtSlant
    http://www.artslant.com/global/artis...474-drew-bedoo

Fine-Art.com
    www.fine-art.com
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Richard M. Coda

Personally, I wouldn't put anything on any of those sites (Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, etc.). I am on Linkedin.com, but more for my business, which is not photography, although I do have a link to my photo website. I also have a blog, which many people are using as main websites now, but I use that as more of a journal rather than loading up my main website.

The previously mentioned social websites are more for people who have lots of time to waste because they don't really do anything except text all day long. And, they are the wrong market for my work.

If you want to be taken as a serious photographer, you should have a real website that you have total control over. You can have all those other things, too, but not as your main website.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Preston Birdwell

I have my own site and I post images to a couple of forums (including this one). I have no interest in FaceBook et al, nor the time to devote to them. I may do a blog at some point, but for now I am good to go.

I agree with Richard, a site over which you control is the best. A good site will take time to develop and update so that search engines can find your work. A blog may be helpful as well. I really don't see how Facebook, etc. would be truly helpful in promoting your work in a professional manner.

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I get a lot work from Facebook these days. My friends list has a lot of art directors. Go figure....

No, please don't friend me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I get a lot work from Facebook these days. My friends list has a lot of art directors. Go figure....

No, please don't friend me now.
    Oh, come one Frank, please!

Actually if you create a Facebook ad you can target specific demographics, narrowing it down to exact ad agencies, professions, alumni of, etc.

So pick Art Center grads, San Francisco, NY, LA, Minneapolis, Nike, etc... stuff like that. It's a short list.

Facebook rocks.

I have a fan page on Facebook, though mostly it is for listing a few items I find of interest. The image policy on Facebook puts me off posting images there. I think MySpace is dead, unless you want to photograph bands. LinkedIn is definitely a good networking site, and I have done several shoots through referrals there; added benefit is that they now include some discussion groups.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gordon-Moat/14732240065

Beyond that I feel that if you work as a commercial photographer, you really do need your own website. The exception would be after you land a rep, because then your work can be represented through the website of your rep.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Be sure to read the EULA or TOS of any site you post to (particularly Facebook) before you post your images there. You may be giving them extremely wide use of your images.