Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: cooke series II anastigmat?

Re: cooke series II anastigmat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Yes, thinking about my previous observation that a 4.5 would always be a series II no matter the makeup breaks down quickly when both Series IV and Series VI are f5.6. So of course you're exactly right that there is no rhyme or reason involved.

Never-the-less, Cooke lenses are an addiction. They are so lovely to just hold in your hand. Thanks again for the wee 5" and change triplet that you once gave to me.
    It was an Aviar. I've had only one TTH triplet in my life and I sold it through this site, didn't give it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    It was an Aviar. I've had only one TTH triplet in my life and I sold it through this site, didn't give it to you.
    Oh sure. Make me risk my life going up the rickety wooden stairs in the ice and sleet and rain and snow to check. And . . . . . .. . it's an Aviar. 5" no change. How does he do it. The man's almost always right. Until he gets to politics.

How does the early Cooke soft focus lens work by moving rear cell, screw in or out?

“These advantages are fully developed in the new series, and result in objectives of greater rapidity and defining power, with a more uniform excellence than has hitherto been possible in lenses having these large apertures. The series II, excel for portraiture by the adjustability of the back glass. This enables the photographer to secure at will uniform sharp definition, or to diffuse any required softness evenly throughout the plate. The value of this device can best be appreciated by the professional photographers.”

With Wollensak lenses with the SF adjustment, the softness increases as the distance between front & rear cells increases.
    I do not know if Cookes operate the same way.
    Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in.

I read that the newer Cook soft focus lens by moving front cell and middle cell together toward rear cell, shorten the distance between front/middle cells and rear cell.

My Paragon, a copy of Wollensak, does it like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugan View Post
    With Wollensak lenses with the SF adjustment, the softness increases as the distance between front & rear cells increases.
    I do not know if Cookes operate the same way.
    Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in.