Thread: Lens selection help

Lens selection help

Hello,
    I have a Linhof Technika III type 4. I am really a portrait guy, hardly shoot landscape.
    I am currley have a old Linhof 138mm f3.8 lens with minimum movement or not at all.

I really want to have a potrait lens with maximum movement for selective focus.

1/ I am thinking of the Schneider/Rodenstock 150mm or 210mm. Which one has the most movement between the two.

2. It's very hard to find the copal #1 for Technika III, can I make one myself?

Thank you.
    Anh

Re: Lens selection help

Quote Originally Posted by xichlo View Post
    I have a Linhof Technika III type 4. I am really a portrait guy, hardly shoot landscape.I am currley have a old Linhof 138mm f3.8 lens with minimum movement or not at all.
    If your lens is a Xenar 135mm f/3.8 it's a lens for the "Standard-Press", a press-camera with a fixed back and image-circle isn't an issue with press photography.
    I really want to have a potrait lens with maximum movement for selective focus.

1/ I am thinking of the Schneider/Rodenstock 150mm or 210mm. Which one has the most movement between the two.
    Both Schneider's Symmar (convertible) and Rodenstock's older Sironar have more or less the same image-circle. In both cases the movement of your T III is the limiting factor not the lenses' image-circle.
    2. It's very hard to find the copal #1 for Technika III, can I make one myself?
    You can look for a new or used Copal #1 and exchange it yourself with the Compur CIX . But the f-stop scale isn't exchangable. So why not a CLA for your old shutter? As you can see here it's better to clean a Compur as to exchange it with a Copal.

Peter
    Last edited by Peter K; 6-Nov-2009 at 10:11. Reason: link added

Peter,
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply.
    I didn't make myself very clear about the copol#1. I am refering to the lens board copal#1. I think that the 210mm is copal#1 so the i need the lens board with the diameter for copal#1, and it's hard to find the lens board for Technika III. Do you have any advise on the lens board to mount the 210mm?
    Thanks
    Anh

Quote Originally Posted by Peter K View Post
    If your lens is a Xenar 135mm f/3.8 it's a lens for the "Standard-Press", a press-camera with a fixed back and image-circle isn't an issue with press photography.

Both Schneider's Symmar (convertible) and Rodenstock's older Sironar have more or less the same image-circle. In both cases the movement of your T III is the limiting factor not the lenses' image-circle.

You can look for a new or used Copal #1 and exchange it yourself with the Compur CIX . But the f-stop scale isn't exchangable. So why not a CLA for your old shutter? As you can see here it's better to clean a Compur as to exchange it with a Copal.

Peter

Lensboards for the T III arent't aviable from Linhof. But at S.K. Grimes.

Peter

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Hi Xichlo,
    Looks like you better off with the speed graphic and a petval lens for what you want to do and remember to chose the lens carefully or perhaps a DD 8x10. Good luck.

Peter, thank you very much for your help. I just ordered a custom board from S.K.Grimes.

@anh Tri: thank you, I should have known better when I bought the Linhof. Oh well, a learning experience. .