Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next cut on WWW site - comments?

Next cut on WWW site - comments?

Take a look at the home page, gallery index, about, and contact page. I resized the text and images per comments.

http://www.epr-art.com/

If you look at the galleries, I resized the Katrina Coastal Louisiana text and images, but not the others, so you can get sense of the comparison.

Thanks!

Re: Next cut on WWW site - comments?

Hi Ed,

I like the elegant simplicity of the layout. It really emphasizes the images.

Two issues I see right off the bat: "architecture" is misspelled on the Gallery Index page, and there seems to be an issue with the text float in relation to those Gallery Index images, at least on Safari 3.2.1. See attached.
    Last edited by bsimison; 5-Nov-2009 at 10:07. Reason: image didn't attach the first time

Going to need to find an XML spell checker.:-) That text float is new, and I cannot duplicate it with Safari on my PC. I am republishing the galleries to make sure I got all the style sheets updated. See if that helps. Should be done by 12:15, CST.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    Thanks!
    It's a little too black and white for my taste. How about a dark gray instead of the black background? You asked....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Hi Lenny,

Putting aside my personal taste for the dark side, I find that black tends to be black on all systems, while grey can be lots of things on non-color controlled systems. Same for why I use white for text.

All the galleries are now updated, and I have started to redo the old galleries and put them in the index system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    It's a little too black and white for my taste. How about a dark gray instead of the black background? You asked....

Lenny
    I agree. Black, for me, conflicts with the strength of your photographs and weakens their impact. But, I am old school, so perhaps your targeted audience will agree with you. Anyway, nicely composed and interesting portfolios.

I checked your site at 1:44 am with a fast connection and I had to hit pause each time to stop the slideshow to enjoy the images, so the images load really fast which is just great. I'll always take having to slow things down over having to wait, and I'm guessing that it should be just about perfect for the average connection speed during the normal busy times.

A very enjoyable browsing experience with great pictures- congratulations!

Yeah something is unsettling about predominantly black websites, I could spout research that people have a hard time reading reversed text (although yours is nice and large and legible) but I just don't like them in general.

Also I think photographers who choose black backgrounds often do so because they want to display their images with maximum contrast and minimal distractions, yet the disconnect is that you use the pop-up image display and slide show which places the display image against the busy background of the photo gallery. It makes it harder to appreciate the image when I can see a dozen thumbnails in the background.

I hate to be someone who says "different" is bad, but in the case of websites sometimes it is, because the site's heavy-feeling design gets in the way. It feels a bit forced. It's not the way most other photo websites are, at least the more professional ones, and at the risk of sounding like a conformist, they are the way they are for some pretty good reasons and we'd do well to emulate them.

Name doesn't appear centered on home page, and everything else is. (Safari, Mac)

You could reduce the negative space on the Galleries page so the bottom image and link doesn't require scrolling.