Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder

Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder

Hi all.
    I will shortly receive a used Wista DX which will include some regular film holders.
    This item has come up on ebay and with the idea of lighting my field kit as much as possible, should I consider it?
    I am not interested in it for the speed of rapid shooting but only to lighten the kit.
    It will fit in a standard back I assume?
    Is the film held flat enough and in no danger of being scratched by the mechanism?
    I use one film type for the vast majority of my shooting, so loading six sheets ahead of time in not an issue.
    Thanks for any comments. Regards, David

Re: Graflex Grafmatic sheet film holder

David,
    Certainly much smaller and lighter than 3 regular holders.
    They will slide under your ground glass, but you might want to help them by pulling the back out a little or use a bail if you have one on the back. If you have an international back and can remove the ground glass, they do have the grooves on the side for the slides to lock into.
    I have not had focusing / flatness problems with mine. The sheets are protects on the back and edges by the spetum that holds the film.
    Do a search on this site, as there is a lot of information on them and other subjects.
    Oh, and welcome to the forum,
    Len

I've been using Grafmatics for about 30 years now and still like them. As was mentioned, they are smaller and lighter than 3 standard holders and will fit under the groundglass backs of MOST of the cameras I've tried them on. Unfortunately, I don't remember which ones wouldn't work, but I know one was a wooden tailboard camera with a spring back that I just added a spacer under the springs to give it more room for the back to rise and that did the trick...it still worked fine with standard holders.

Welcome to group therepy!

It is as thick as 1 1/2 regular holders. It shoulld work fine. When you get one, be sure none of the septums are bent or warped, as that can make it jam. They hold the film as flat as you can get it without resorting to a vacuum holder. When you load it, be sure to put the open end of the septums in first. Toward the slide. Be sure to check it for a missing light trap seal. It's up under the slide end of the tray. You can feel it with your finger or if you have a tiny mirror or a rubber neck, you can see it. It's a regular cloth covered flat spring arrangement that seals the exposed side of the slide. They are glued in and they go missing sometimes. The things work really great. Be careful with the easily damaged septums, though. You'll like it.

The weight of a loaded Grafmatic is one pound. The above posters know of where they speak.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I made a mistake in my previous post. The septums go into the tray open end first. The dark slide rides over the closed end of the septum.

Grafmatics are the only way to fly. There is more expense at the outset but the weight and convenience will leave you wondering how you ever got by without them.

My grafmatics weigh ± 470 gram. Three regular holders weigh ± 550 gram. A small advantage, that is lost the moment you have to take a partly shot grafmatic with you, for instancs the next day.

There's not much to stop you from unloading the exposed film and simply reloading those septum. But you can make it as difficult as you want, that's for sure.

G-matics are great, but not totally foolproof..... I've been distracted & pulled the holder out before advancing. DOHHH!