Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help dating old plates

Help dating old plates

I got a 2 boxes of glass plates from ebay. They were only $4.99 each with mine being the only bid. I think it was because the seller stated that he couldn't tell if they've been opened or not and people were skeptical. Rightfully so, one box was unused plates that had obviously been opened and missing the black wrapping. The second box was full of exposed plates. The one on top and the one on the bottom had been ruined but this left me with 10 negatives. The box had "Eastman Kodak Co.", according to wiki Eastman didn't have the name Kodak attached to himself until 1892, so there is a start.

I will post them, so any help would be appreciated. They are worth a look just for history, some are very cool: A decorated Christmas tree, grandma, landscapes, some very blurry children and even an accidental double exposure.

The first is a group shot of the children, all of them looking in a different direction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9447 lowres.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	237432

Re: Help dating old plates

Here is one with just the girls. I can only imagine the exposure times needed for these indoor shots in the middle of December.

Name:	IMG_9443 lowres.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	237433

Just looking at the clothing and hair styles I’d guess they were in the late 30’s or even early 40’s. Look at the clothing and especially the boys hairstyle, shirt and tie. I don’t believe the boys hairstyle came into fashion until the 40’s. I’ve seen that style of girls clothing and hair style from the 20’s through the 40’s. I’m a 40’s child and by mid 40’s those styles were pretty much gone except the boys shirt, tie and hair.

My dad shot dry plates in the 40’s during WWII. I have several boxes of them and have printed some of the best ones.

Show us the box

That's how I dated my very old plates in another post

Logos, trade mark and design change
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Just looking at the clothing and hair styles I’d guess they were in the late 30’s or even early 40’s. Look at the clothing and especially the boys hairstyle, shirt and tie. I don’t believe the boys hairstyle came into fashion until the 40’s. I’ve seen that style of girls clothing and hair style from the 20’s through the 40’s. I’m a 40’s child and by mid 40’s those styles were pretty much gone except the boys shirt, tie and hair.

My dad shot dry plates in the 40’s during WWII. I have several boxes of them and have printed some of the best ones.
    Thank you. I would have thought much older. I meant to post a few more but had forgotten. Here is the Christmas tree decorations. Funny how the gifts were just put onto the tree,

Name:	IMG_9451 lowres.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	237440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9454 lowres.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	237441

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Show us the box

That's how I dated my very old plates in another post

Logos, trade mark and design change
    Ok, I will do that.

The first shot is the box full of unused plates, the second had the negatives. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	237442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	237443

Those are old

Now do the work

Look up old KODAK logos

Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    The first shot is the box full of unused plates, the second had the negatives. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	237442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	237443
    Tin Can

I'm horrible online, almost every time I research it, it leads to items for sale I just googled "old Kodak dry plate logos" and every one of those ended up being a link to ebay or etsy??? I did research a bit, that's how I know that "Kodak" wasn't in the name until 1892. Also didn't think I'd need to do that much research, had no clue how long they were used. I was a little shocked when the gentleman above estimated the 30's to 40's. No idea people were still shooting plates that late, I'd have guessed most done shooting by 1910 or so after film had been around for 15 years or more. But then again, here we are shooting plates today. I'll keep searching, thank you.
    Mike

Here is a shot of the little boy with the shoes on that are hanging at the very bottom of the tree. Long, indoor exposure with a little kid who can't sit still. Anyone know the ASA of these plates when fresh?

Name:	IMG_9474 lowres.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	237449