Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Suggestions: Early January, SF Bay Area

Re: Need Suggestions: Early January, SF Bay Area

Thanks to all who responded. That's been a big help. Anybody else got ideas for me?
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Winter in the bay area is usually nice and sunny. There is the possibilty of rain of course (as there is all over the State) Mare Island is an interesting photo op not too far from Berserkly.

The Sierras would (should) have snow and clear sunny skies (unless of course it is snowing)but you'll have to carry tire chains. The foothills should be emerald green (January is a month or so too early for wildflowers) The Valleys do tend to get foggy and humid, especially after a rain.

Winter is a good time to explore the central coast---Monterey and Big Sur all the way down to Pismo and points South. Another nice drive is the Gold Rush Country along Hwy 49.

I try to go to SF every January. Night photography is very tempting with the moonlight reflecting off the bay(I generally walk along the waterfront from Crissy Field, get a cup of coffee from the 24 hr Safeway en route to the Ferry Terminal before sunrise on a Saturday morning. Watching the sky turn from a starry night to a steel gray sky over the bay is a splendid early morning jaunt! The Ferry Terminal has a farmer's market and they serve a good (but pricey) breakfast. If you're into street photography, angle off in the direction of Columbus and cut into Grant Street and the Chinese markets will be getting their morning deliveries of all kinds of interesting stuff---very photogenic (in a chaotic way!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Scott Brewer

If you are in Berkeley, almost the whole East Bay ridge are parks. Check the internet to get some ideas. Also in town there are a bunch of interesting boulders. They are popular climbing areas. In fact, Indian Rock is legendary for climbers. There is an REI in Berkeley. Go in ask for suggestions.
    South of San Francisco there are many parks. You can photograph ocean, deep redwood forests and open grasslands in a day.
    If you narrow it down let us know and any of us who know the areas can give more specific info. Take care

In Berkeley, take a drive up Grizzly Peak Blvd., some nice vistas up there of the bay, gg bridge, marin headlands. Can take a hike on the fire trail starting on Panoramic. Also in Tilden park, you can go out the Nimitz way trail at Inspiration Point or the Seaview trail behind the steam trains. There are some rocks at Indian Rock park, and I think Cragmont rocks. The pier and north waterfront park are good for walks and vistas. On UC Campus there is sometimes a good view from the steps in front of Campanile steps, also Eucalyptus grove and some interesting oaks and architecture. Also a place called Aquatic park usually has some geese and ducks and is a nice walk.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

How far are you willing to go? I live 5 minutes from Berkeley and while the weather will be unpredictable in Jan. it won't be too bad - certainly not warm though. I've been to Death Valley in March, spent the whole month there hiking. There was still snow in the high parts, can't imagine January will be fair. Central valley, towards the south, maybe something like King's Canyon or Sequoia would be great.

Within the confines of Berkeley, and within a few hundred yards of each other, I would suggest that you take your 4x5 to the following: UC Botanical Gardens, and up the road a short distance, park at the Lawerence Hall of Science and you will be treated to a magnificent bay view with San Francisco in the distance. The campus itself is also worth a visit.

The best place to purchase 4x5 film in Berkeley (or anything related to large format) is at "The Looking Glass" photo shop on Telegraph Avenue.
    Enjoy your visit!

Drew Wiley

There are certain distinct advantages to roaming the UC Berkeley campus in the evening with a big conversation-piece 8X10. Besides getting a few interesting architectual shots, that's how I acquired my wife!

Preston Birdwell

Here's a vote for Highway 49. It is 'above the fog, and below the snow'. It is often quite pleasant in the Sierra Foothills in January.

A nice loop would be from SF to Placerville (on US 50)>south to Mariposa (on CA 120) and then back to the Bay area.

There are several small Gold Rush era towns along the way. There are also many historic buildings, very nice natural scenes, and wineries. If the snow level is high, you could make a side trip up CA 4 (from Angels Camp) to Calaveras Big Strees State Park. These are Sequoia giganteum, the same species as in the groves in Yosemite and Sequoia NP. It is a very pleasant place. Columbia State Park and Railtown 1897 in Jamestown are also worthwhile. If you go through Sonora, be sure to have dinner at the Diamondback Grill--killer!

Enjoy your trip!

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Two of my favorites are Point Lobos, just south of Carmel (plus you have Camera West in Monterey) and Pebble Beach up by Pescadero. If you go to Pescadero, check out the metal sculpture on Stage road, about a mile north. If you go to the Monterey area, try The Whole Enchilada in Moss Landing for dinner on your way back. Or you just drive down Highway 1 from Carmel- lots of pictures there! Don't take the Old Coast Road if it's been raining a lot (a back road from Bixby Bridge to Point Sur).
    Have Fun!
    Dave

We received early rains this October and the El Nino might be moderating. If it happens this can mean a very dry middle part of the winter. So don't count on the weather being terrible.
    If it's your first trip to the Left Coast in winter you may be in for a surprise, with the earlier rain it'll likely be so green you'll swear you landed in New Zealand.

Lichens at Pinnacles NM can be rather interesting even before the wildflowers are out.
    Redwoods. Big Sur. Enormous surf (Mavericks). Whale watching. Plenty to see and photograph.